Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Watch Out For Big Old Trees & Rocks in Odd Places - SHARE Your Experiences

I just happened to think of this while making a post in Today's Finds.

Years ago I checked by this giant old pine tree that was maybe 200-250 years old and I found a cache of very old (ca. CW era) jewelry and a solid gold ring.

Ever since I've watched for these large trees and other such landmarks while hunting.

People by nature hide stuff by some sort of landmark with the idea of returning to it later. Some never get the chance to retrieve their goodies.

Back in the early 80's I checked by a WWI park monument and dug a Rolex Pocket watch and FOB.

What have you found?

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Re: Watch Out For Big Old Trees & Rocks in Odd Places - SHARE Your Experiences

i agree about old trees badge. while i have never found a cashe i have found some old silver coins. old trees are a great place to sit down and get out of the sun. also a good place to put your jacket down when playing ball, all oppertunities for lost coins!

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.

People are still burying things at the foot of big old trees. Be sure to check especially those trees that have double and triple split trunks. They make good markers. In addition, look for a circular grouping of trees and be sure to search right in the middle of the group. Also, check for rocky ledges on hills where large rocks are jutting out, creating spaces on the undersides of the rocks. I know places like that where people have stashed all kinds of survival gear, including money. Probably kids or millennium nuts. But it's still fun finding that stuff. Good luck.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

I do the same thing.....I always check the landscape of an area that I am going through for huge trees....out of place groupings of trees,tree lines , shrubs or flowers that arent naturally planted for the area....I am on the river alot and often find old homesites by the grouping of trees on the skyline...which leads me into the old sites....check rock wall lines ....find the old house foundations (which often mght be just four corner rocks) and a rock fireplace and stand in the middle and turn every direction looking for obvious landmarks....most people buried their loot in a spot they could see often from their cabins ...

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505

Think like a pioneer. If you were travelling west and decided to camp in a spot for whatever reason you might bury a sack of coins at the base of a tree while you were hunting for supper and away from camp. Then while hunting you get ambushed by indians. The cache is left for future generations to find.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

my oldest silver coin a 1908 barber came from in front(4-5 feet) off a old large tree at a park under a rock at 8 inchs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread