What's new

Water Detecting How do I Get started??

eddieoko

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jun 3, 2010
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Delaware
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, White's Beachunter, White's 5900 Blue and Grey
I have a boat and want to hunt in 3-4 feet of water on many little beaches only accesible
by boat. I am looking into getting a Whites underwater detector. I assume I would needa floating sift and long pole with scoop. Anything else? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and good luck
 
Upvote 0
1: Read all you can, read more, then learn your machine and have patience.

2: Don't be afraid of making mistakes. We ALL make mistakes.

3: Respectful questions get respectful answers.

Good luck.
 
walk in the water and start hunting.its just that simple.you will need a good detector not a cheapo,and a good scoop,wading shoes and a finds pouch.all in a nut shell there ya go
 
Real hard to water hunt with a buzz on and find much, water hunting is a lot of work........
 
Take a look at all the nice extra finds at the beach, like fish hooks, nails, jagged metal etc. -- don't worry about the rings, gold and silver coins, necklaces and bracelets.

IF YOU ARE HUNTING ALONE, without exception carry a dive knife (for cutting line), and inflatable life vest, proper foot wear and emergency radio (Cobra VHF radio in a plasticbag $75). Even better take a group of three or more and cover the entire area.

Check out old coastal maps to find out whats been around for a while, and what places were occupied.
 
Definitely wear some type of shoe or dive boot! Try not to get discouraged when you don't find anything. Some days are good.... some not so good. Good luck hunting. Can't wait to start seeing your finds.
 
Get a good water detector, next a good water scoop, next to the detector it is your most valuable tool..

A good pair of shoes is highly recommended. You would not believe the amount of glass, nails, filet knives and even hypo needles I have found in the sand.

A good finds pouch is also needed, one that has a place for the trash as well as the goodies, personally I recommend a harness with bungee, I can hunt from dawn to dusk with my Excal and WOT coil with no arm pain, but that is because I use a harness.

A large bottle of sun screen is highly recommended as well......
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom