water hunt and beach finds fossils??????

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Ace 250, and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• foslot.jpg
    foslot.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 354
  • fo9.jpg
    fo9.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 352
  • fo8.jpg
    fo8.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 349
  • fo7.jpg
    fo7.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 353
  • fo6.jpg
    fo6.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 349
  • fo5.jpg
    fo5.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 346
  • fo4.jpg
    fo4.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 349
  • fo3.jpg
    fo3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 360
  • fo2.jpg
    fo2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 350
  • fo1.jpg
    fo1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 353
  • foss.jpg
    foss.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 358
Of the five fossils in a circle:
12PM --- spiriferid brachiopod
2PM --- unknown
4PM --- unknown (perhap a chip of a solitary ["horn"] coral)
6PM --- unknown (perhaps a fragment of a colonial coral)
9PM --- spiriferid brachiopod
Outside the circle --- looks like a rock.

jadeblackhawk said:
The last two pictures are corals. I have all sorts of them . :) Can't tell you what kind, my fossil book is walkabout. Michigan used to be a sea. I can't remember how many hundred thousands of years ago. Good book: Geology of Michigan by John Dorr.

Side note: Michigan used to be the home of seven foot beavers. :o Yes, 7 feet. I have always found that to be a fascinating, yet scary fact. They used to display some giant beaver fossils in Lansing at the natural history museum. Don't know if they do anymore though.
:o Thats a big beaver! gonna have to search that out. pretty cool fact. ty for the id's :icon_thumleft:

Your fossils are Paleozoic certainly . . . not hundreds of thousands of years old, but hundreds of millions of years old. They were excavated in Canada and dragged down to the northern parts of the USA by glaciers.

In contrast, giant beavers, Castoroides ohioensis, is a Late Pleistocene species. These are dated in the thousands or tens of thousands of years.

castoroidescheekA.JPGcastoroidescheekB.JPG

jadeblackhawk said:
I didn't mean the fossils were hundreds of thousand years old, I meant the last time Michigan was covered by an inland sea.
Sorry, 'jade', Michigan has not been covered by an inland sea since Paleozoic times -- again, hundreds of millions of years ago.

A huge thanks to both Harry and Jade. I do not know anything about fossils. I really enjoy finding them though! Thanks for the ID. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back