Water Mills of Old????????????

Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT Pro, and a White's Treasure Master, along with a White's TRX Pinpointer...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A quick look shows only a few mills ,some previous existing millsites ect. Nothing jumps out.

Many communities in other states have either still existing ,or mentions of millponds.
For tubstyle , ( and others if things were just right year round or during use)a pond was not always a requirement.

I would inquire at local historical societies and at museums,but the societies first. They would know ,or have info somewhere...?

OP
OP
Wannabe Treasure Hunter
Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT Pro, and a White's Treasure Master, along with a White's TRX Pinpointer...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you looking for? A particular water mill, how they work,-- or what?
The more specific your inquiry, the less time need be invested in researching what you are not looking for.
Don......

There were Water Mills of sorts all over this area in the late 1800's and early 1900's, and my interest is in finding as much info on any of them as I can so I can possibly find some new places in this area to go metal detecting. The Counties of most Interest would be Forrest, Covington, Jones, & Perry, but info on any and all in South Mississippi would be great.

I understand the basics of how they work, but am more interested in locations, size, number of employees, photographs, maps, etc... just anything that might make detecting an area more productive.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Have you looked at the mills at Port Gibson,Glade Creek, Sciple's, Dickey water mill (Amite County) and the mill at Dunn's Falls where there is Civil War History? Granted, these are not all in Southern Mississippi, but they're all in MS.
Don....

OP
OP
Wannabe Treasure Hunter
Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you looked at the mills at Port Gibson,Glade Creek, Sciple's, Dickey water mill (Amite County) and the mill at Dunn's Falls where there is Civil War History? Granted, these are not all in Southern Mississippi, but they're all in MS.
Don....

I've read a little about the Sciple Mill and camped at Dunns Fall, but it's part of our states park system, so no detecting there. The problem I am having with any of them is in finding details, building layouts, & photo's/drawings of the properties....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Have you checked out McDonald's Mill in Forrest Co.? Or Rich's Mill in Perry Co? Then there is (or was) Golden's Water Mill in Taylorsville; the Bayleiss Water Mill; and two others in Forrest Co. (Beaver Creek and Buck Creek)--found here: RootsWeb: MSPERRY-L [PerryCoMS ] Perry County WPA - WATERMILLS FOR CORN
No doubt, with just a little research including contacting the historian and/or the Historical Society of each of the counties you mentioned, you should receive all the info you seek.
Happy Hunting,
Don......
PS: My son was born in Biloxi.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread