WATERPROOFED Detectors Overheating?

n800

Jul 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a quick question for you guys that have tossed control boxes into into airtight containers and gone hunting in the drink for a few hours at a time. I've got a Sovereign in a plano box with all the cable clams, wireless headphones and so on and it works great.......but I've noticed that it gets really hot after a long sessions of hunting. Have any of you guys with waterproofed detectors had any problems with overheating? ....should I be concerned? I've got waterproof units to use but the Sov just kills it in the salt.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How small is the Plano? I use to own custom sov gt but it was in a large ikelite dive camera case. If it is small that could be the issue.

Kbron2000

May 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT ,Fisher F2 DD Coil, NEL Tornado Coil, Garret Propointer ....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Overheating here! today I hunted at 104F for 7hrs...

Last edited:
OP
OP
n800

n800

Jul 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'd overheat on a 7hr hunt in those temps. The plano box is the same size one almost everyone else uses for this sort of thing.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'd overheat on a 7hr hunt in those temps. The plano box is the same size one almost everyone else uses for this sort of thing.....

What is the dimensions..... Mine was in a box that was at least 12"x10"x10".........

OP
OP
n800

n800

Jul 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the dimensions..... Mine was in a box that was at least 12"x10"x10".........

I've got one which is 11” x 7.25” x 4” on the exterior and 9” x 5.25” x 3.625” on the interior........snug but it works......

Bombguy

Oct 22, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soveriegn GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I waterproofed my GT with the Plano 1470, the blue one, because i had heard of the overheating issue. i gave her more room to breath. the deminsions of the box are 14" x 9" x 5", looks like a monster case but I will use polyethylene foam(a pool noodle) cut into sections to take up space and keep the unit from moving around in the case. the case will be carried in a back pack. Search my name to see my unit if you want.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread