What's new

Wax seal?

trapperart

Platinum Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2015
Messages
16,165
Reaction score
13,042
Golden Thread
2
Location
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are some better pics of the find. I'm convinced it's a wax seal flat,recessed and I think the give away is the 6 fastener marks on the back. I found this at the same place I found this 1500s 4 maravedis a couple months ago. What do you think? Thanks Art
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0057.webp
    DSC_0057.webp
    74.9 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC_0032.webp
    DSC_0032.webp
    99.6 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC_0033.webp
    DSC_0033.webp
    88.8 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC_0065.webp
    DSC_0065.webp
    70.8 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC_0064.webp
    DSC_0064.webp
    59.7 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC_0063.webp
    DSC_0063.webp
    87.5 KB · Views: 315
Upvote 22
1.250 long 1.040 wide .160 thick these are thousands of an inch
This would pretty much fit in my 28mm x 21mm empty fob seal....lol Send it over for a marriage.

PS. Thought I would picture a much smaller loose piece 'similar' to yours.
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    136.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    66.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Candle snuffer :P
 
And who did your "likeness" on that stone ?
They did a good job. :)
 
I may never know for sure what it truly is, But it satisfied my need to hunt and gave me that trill of something unusual. Just like every hole we dig is a treasure until proven different, this can be anything until proven other wise. I know it's broken, maybe a couple hundred years in a farm field will do that. I do know it served someone long ago, it gave me pleasure finding it and gave a lot of you something to comment on. So it seems to still be useful. Thanks for all the interest Art
 
Even trash is treasure to some.

I like your attitude.

It is still something special... and very old IMO...
A great piece and you should be proud to have dug such a cool piece.
And...
It got ya thread under your belt... Which involved some great "debate" / "discussion".

Well done and keep it up.
If I were you...
I would head back to that spot...
The exact one where you found that piece....
Work it very slow and steady.
Dig it all.

Maybe the mystery can be solved by another find.
 
I may never know for sure what it truly is, But it satisfied my need to hunt and gave me that trill of something unusual. Just like every hole we dig is a treasure until proven different, this can be anything until proven other wise. I know it's broken, maybe a couple hundred years in a farm field will do that. I do know it served someone long ago, it gave me pleasure finding it and gave a lot of you something to comment on. So it seems to still be useful. Thanks for all the interest Art
I agree. A completely toasted unknown type of large copper coin (or a nice one) would not nearly draw as much interest on here, compared to that find.

and others have posted nice related finds to the thread.

You have to appreciate the artist who did the cutting and matte finish, as it adds different shades of reflected light to the image. The image really pops IMO
 
Sorry to digress, but is this an 18th century fob seal? It's cracked across the middle unfortunately.

20160121_185935-1.webp
 
It sure has the look to me!
Too bad it's in a bad state of condition, it would have been a nice one
 
Last edited:
Wish I could help, but it's a great find
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom