Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all,

have a friend of ours who lives in waycross and was wondering any areas to do some hunting in, we will be hitting some properties they own to do some MD'ing, i know one area they won they had found alot of indian arrow heads, friends daughter in law now wants to get a MD and join us when we go there again to visit in the near future i will be posting in what is this section a piece of a lock i found on their property maybe hoping someone can identify it for me..thanks...gregg

from what i've been able to find all you can hunt is "private prop--with owner permission"---public land is a no no looking at the "rules"---however don't take my or any ones else "word" about the laws since its your hinny thats at risk---find out yourself---since you got a computer its easy--- check ga's MD laws about public land on line just to be safe and legal. Ivan

As per the GA Dept of Natural Resources:

Artifact Collecting
1/16/2006

Is it Legal for Hobbyists to Collect Artifacts or Dig for Artifacts?
Surface collecting:

1. It is legal to collect artifacts from the surface of dry land on privately-owned property if property is not posted, gated, or fenced against entry. We recommend obtaining written permission of the landowner to protect the property owner's rights and to protect the visitor from trespassing. (OCGA 12-3-621)

2. It is not legal to surface collect, dig, or metal detect on state or federal land. This includes Civil War sites. (OCGA 12-3-10(n), 12-3-52)

Digging/Metal Detecting:

1. With the exception of burials and associated objects, archaeological sites belong to the landowner (private, state or federal). Landowners can dig archaeological sites with the exception of burials that are on their property. DNR recommends that you preserve any archaeological sites that you may own for future generations.

2. On privately-owned land, it is legal to dig for artifacts (including when artifacts have been found by metal detecting) if you have written permission of the landowner and have notified the Georgia Department of Natural Resources in writing five (5) business days before you begin. This includes Civil War sites. (OCGA 12-3-621)

3. It is not legal to surface collect, dig, or metal detect on state and federal land. This includes Civil War sites. (OCGA 12-3-10(n), 12-3-52)

4. It is not legal to disturb or dig human burials or collect human skeletal remains or objects associated with burials, regardless of who owns the land. If human remains are inadvertently discovered, STOP all land disturbing activity immediately, protect the burial from harm, and notify the local law enforcement authority. Law enforcement officials, under OCGA 31-21-6, will then notify the coroner, the local government, and the Georgia Department of Natural Resources to recommend a permanent protection plan. (OCGA 31-21-44 and 36-72-1 through 16)

In the Water:

1. It is legal to collect artifacts with the permission of the landowner in privately-owned waterways

2. It is not legal to take artifacts off the bottom of state-owned waters. (OCGA 12-3-80)

Ref: http://hpd.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=193

Happy Hunting!

no its ILEGALL* to hunt state or federal lands in georgia-- PRIVATE LAND is ok with land owners ok--state land and parks or federal land and parks & civil war battlefeid sites in georgia are a no no -- local city owned & county parks owned maybe be differant (check the "local rules" -- personally I'd check it out very carefully before MDing them -- to stay out of trouble with the law -- a word to the wise --- Ivan

Local parks are generally ok, but it wouldn't hurt to check with the local authorities. As long as it is not a state or federal park you usually wouldn't have a problem.

HH

I live in North Georgia, my husband and I have always been able metal detected in public parks and school grounds with no problems. Hunting protected Civil War sites and federal owned property is not allowed in Georgia and will get you in a lot of trouble. If in doubt call the administrators or Mayor's office at the City Hall of the Waycross and just ask to make sure they don't have any local laws restricting hunting on public property. Good luck and have fun!

Used to be, in the USA, all waterways were public domain with 3 foot to each side included (as public domain).

When did that change?

So I'm ignorant, ok?

THE BIG GUY (JULE)

I have hunted in Georgia most of my MDing life and have never had issues. I obey posted signs and ask permission on Private Property and I check with State and Local Gov'ts to ask permission for their parks, etc. I have hunted very few State locations, especially parks. National parks likewise. They just don't give permission to hunt those often.

I have hunted once in the Waycross area. There is a place there that they hold a Rodeo type event on every year. It would be a good place for coins. There are lots of other public locations. There are also lots of old Churches in the area. Ride the back roads and watch for the old wooden signs directing you to a church. I have found many down at the end of an old dirt road that produced lots of nice old coins. (Don't forget to detect down the middle of that old dirt road also. Pulled a set of U.S. Calvary Spurs from about 8 inches right in the middle of a dirt road!!!) Not much that I have researched related to the Civil War in the Waycross area although there is probably some things there. I didn't spend much time researching. I hunted there about 10 years ago.

Good luck. I find Georgia folks to be very nice and hospitable and have never had any rejections when I asked permission.

thanks, sorry for the late reply...thank all who have contributed to this, friends famiy has oldland, and also know of a few old locations and on land they know the owners will start there then go from there...gregg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back