Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
It needs to be seen by all miners, John Q pulbic. It exposes these green groups for exactly what they are. TV, radio, facebook, blogs, chatrooms whatever.

On December 12th the Western Mining Alliance received the
final report on the Department of Interior’s investigation into the
activities of Dr. Charles Alpers of the US Geological Survey.
In response to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) filed by
the WMA, and a follow on request for an official investigation the
Department of Interior published the results of their investigation.
Dr. Charles Alpers, of the US Geological Survey (USGS) was
the lead mercury researcher for the water quality section of the
2011 Suction Dredging Environmental Impact Report (EIR). He
was responsible for collecting the data, and preparing the analysis
for the California Suction Dredging Environmental Impact Report
which concluded suction dredges were linked to high
methylmercury levels in wildlife.
He further stated there was only one year of testing data to
rely on.
In 2013 the WMA submitted a FOIA requesting all data
related to sampling of mercury on the South Yuba River, the same
location the suction dredge study took place. The information we
received proved over five years of data existed from research
funded by the Bureau of Land Management, and conducted by –
Dr. Charles Alpers.
When we evaluated all of the data we found there was natural
variability from year to year in mercury levels in wildlife, and the
levels of mercury in insects appeared to be directly linked to the
size of the spring flood. When we viewed all of the data there was
no linkage between mercury levels and dredging activity which
was in direct contradiction to Dr. Alpers’ findings.
The WMA submitted a request for an official investigation
alleging scientific misconduct over the withholding of the data set.
We met with the Department of Interior in June and discussed our
concerns.
Last week the Department of Interior provided us with their
report and it provides some stunning revelations.
The lead mercury researcher on the suction dredging EIR was
also a donor and member of The Sierra Fund. The Sierra Fund is
the organization which claims responsibility for developing the
legislation which banned suction dredging. They have publically
admitted they are opposed to suction dredging and they claimed
credit for writing the legislation which resulted in SB 670, the initial dredging ban.

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
By passable do you mean math as used by real scientists or the math used by bought scientists? Sorry Fowled... I couldn't resist that one but you understand my point I'm sure.

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Tell a lie long enough it becomes truth to the uninformed. It is envy that there are those willing to risk the regular work force to go out on their own and be truly free. Communists don't like that.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I still have not seen ONE posted modern day case of Mercury Poisioning. I made the challenge some 5 pages ago, and still no list of these proposed cases of mercury deaths or even elevated levels. For this supposed threat, WHERE ARE THE CASES??????????????????????????????????

This person injected Hg in a suicide attempt and it failed, she lived with no adverse effects.
What Happens If 10 ml Of Elemental Mercury Is Injected Intravenously | IFLScience

Elemental (liquid) mercury is rather low in toxicity and is comparable to lead. It can be handled and even eaten without expectation of harm. When Hg vaporizes it becomes much more toxic and worse, when it converts to methyl-mercury. Mercury will methylate by exposure to anaerobic bacterial action in streams rivers lakes and the ocean.
Mercury does not peacefully "sequester" in the stream bed, it is constantly methylating until you physically remove it.
The suction dredge is the most efficient mercury removal device ever designed.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have donated to the WMA & PLP & i'm all for the great work that they do but I do believe that when you donate to the WMA they do get a peice of the pie & do get paid. I don't know how much & I don't care as long as they get results like they have done.

I know from personal experience that NO ONE at WMA gets paid. All of the people who volunteer at WMA have full time jobs TOTALLY UNRELATED to mining- so their work at WMA is a labor of love for the industry (and wanting to get back in the water). It is probably the only organization that doesn't make "something" off the miners. I know for a fact.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know from personal experience that NO ONE at WMA gets paid. All of the people who volunteer at WMA have full time jobs TOTALLY UNRELATED to mining- so their work at WMA is a labor of love for the industry (and wanting to get back in the water). It is probably the only organization that doesn't make "something" off the miners. I know for a fact.

That is good to here. I donate to PLP, WMA will be next!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I can second what minerrick said. I have had several lengthy discussions with the lead guy and others over at the WMA. None of them take a paycheck. I am a paid member and a full supporter and if I could dedicate enough time to do a good job, I would take them up on the suggestion to open a Washington Chapter...that time may come.

The Western Mining Alliance is the real deal and worthy of our full support.

bubba2996

Nov 18, 2014
Caldwell id
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can u give me some more info on the how they r marketing the green gold they highjacked from us, its peaked my interest

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can u give me some more info on the how they r marketing the green gold they highjacked from us, its peaked my interest

Well bubba, I would really like to address your question but I don't understand it. Can you try again?

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In the last year or so they have started mentioning and eluding more and more to the gold they will subsequently recover along with the Mercury as they clean and save the Sierra's. I think he may also be referring to their E3 Gold project and Green mining initiatives which the details of are slated to be released at their next summit this coming spring. The way its going, in the not so distant future they will be the biggest gold mining consortium in the west, oh and they clean up Mercury too!

bubba2996

Nov 18, 2014
Caldwell id
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah sorry for not being clear, minerrick was saying the enviros are trying to create a market for the "green" gold the recover while getin the murcury. I didnt know about the e3 gold project but i will research that to, thanks

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah sorry for not being clear, minerrick was saying the enviros are trying to create a market for the "green" gold the recover while getin the murcury. I didnt know about the e3 gold project but i will research that to, thanks

Bubba, I think this may be in reference to the Lake Combie mercury remediation project.
In a nutshell, the enviros banned gold dredging in California, then immediately started a plan to dredge lake combie to remove the awful mercury. They expect a nearly 7 million investment will reclaim up to 150 pounds of mercury. After a lot of prodding they admitted that gold reclamation would also occur but it was only a byproduct.
Basically they lock us out so they can have the gold for themselves.

bubba2996

Nov 18, 2014
Caldwell id
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah i just read the bull on the sierra fund website they arent really even trying to hide it. I dont get how they have such a conflict of interest and still get to basically make laws that give them a monopoly!!

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah i just read the bull on the sierra fund website they arent really even trying to hide it. I dont get how they have such a conflict of interest and still get to basically make laws that give them a monopoly!!

Bubba- "its a big club, and you ain't in it"- George Carlin

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Combie Project was supposed to be completed in Dec. 2014. So far it's been nothing but a now and then dog and pony demonstration piece. Looks as if Malakoff, Rollins, and other locations have been added to the mix. Leases are coming due on the equipment that they've paid more to rent then if they would have bought. More demonstration shows scheduled and summits. More money coming their way, now they are seeking permanent funding for Combie- what's that mean? Maybe they're waiting for Teichert Const. to build a bigger vault for all the cash their gonna make selling the aggregate back to the people that gave them the money to get it. One would think that with record low reservoir levels they would be chomping at the bit to get in there and dredge, make hay while the sun shines. Hell they've only spent a fraction of the dough they've received, so it's not a lack of funding, weathers been pretty decent for outdoor work the last few winters. Curious about the water quality results post processing/treatment.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that we should all contact our representatives and request laws be introduced to prevent them from profiting from this off the gold. THEY blocked honest miners from making a living as well as removing Mercury from the waterways for free so why should they be allowed to keep any gold they get as a "By Product"? I feel that all gold they recover should be divided between the miners that held permits at the time that the ban first went into effect. By allowing them to keep the gold and sell it, the people would in effect be paying them twice for what looks like is to be one of the most ineffective mercury recovery projects ever conceived. As fowledup states, it's behind schedule and so far has produced nothing more than a couple of "Dog and pony shows".

How do I define ineffective you ask? Simple! The equipment of gold miners recovers a higher percentage of the mercury than the equipment they are planing on using. Add to that the cost of them leasing that equipment, wages for their workers (those guys are not going to work for free ya know!) as well as other overhead costs to the tax payers you have a very costly endeavor indeed. Now figure that miners would clean up a higher percentage of the mercury and it wouldn't cost the tax payers a dime and you can see how this idea is not only physically ineffective but financially ineffective as well. In a time where States are in debt up to their eyes, one would think that they would be looking for ways to cut costs but still serve the people. Maybe it's just me, but I figure something like this is just too simple an answer for the idgits in charge to think of. WE NEED NEW IDGITS!!!!!!

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sierra Club and Sierra Club Foundation Accused of Tax Law Violations | Watts Up With That?

Scheisters, do enough digging and you will find greed and corruption. Pockets are lined all the way to the people we have entrusted with enforcing our law and protecting our rights to mine for minerals.
Bottom line is the Sierra Fund is a giant corporation making millions or billions off the backs of the taxpayers and raping the land while they do so.
The bird is the word.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sierra Club and Sierra Club Foundation Accused of Tax Law Violations | Watts Up With That?

Scheisters, do enough digging and you will find greed and corruption. Pockets are lined all the way to the people we have entrusted with enforcing our law and protecting our rights to mine for minerals.
Bottom line is the Sierra Fund is a giant corporation making millions or billions off the backs of the taxpayers and raping the land while they do so.
The bird is the word.

Sierra Fund and Sierra Club are different groups. The Sierra Club is very well connected and could possibly be making at least ten-hundreds of millions. SF is more of a "local" organization and although they are pretty well funded, they are nowhere as large of a group as the Sierra Club. With the "corporate welfare" offered to them, they do seem to be growing quite nicely, though.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had been told that they do by what I thought was a reliable source but it's very hard to believe anything you hear now days even from people that are supposed to be reliable. Like I have said before, I don't care as long as they get results & I think they do a great job. I'm not trying to start a bitc**** match. I would much rather the thread stay on topic.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read somewhere that the SC foundation does give money to TSF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread