Weak on the Gulf Coast Beaches

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No, I didn't misspell week as it has two meanings. I stayed at a friend's apartment saving the cost of a hotel room. I hunted both Bradenton Beaches, Siesta Key beach and Lido Beach in Sarasota, FL. My finds amounted to less than 50 cents in clad, a cheap Wal-Mart ring, a Mogo child's bracelet and a pair of Pugs Sunglasses. Water was beautiful in the morning but it got choppy in afternoon when the sea breezes kicked in. Met "The General" on Holmes Beach as they were arriving and I was leaving. You were right, General, Bradenton Beach was cleaned out as I returned to it and tried a different area and found 2 pennies and a nickle and very little trash.
I did have two close encounters with Manatees: one almost put its snout into my crotch if I hadn't walked backward and the other swam by me within 3 feet. That one startled me as I saw it in the corner of my eye as Bull Sharks are prevalent in that area though I've never seen them on the beach but there is always a first time. Another reason for wearing Reef boots, when you step on a Sea Urchin - Sandspur of the Gulf. I gave it to some tourists who'd never held one.
I'm not disappointed, it was nice to get out and detect, meet some great people, re-visited favored beaches and it sure as Heck beat being at work.
If you are ever in Sarasota and want great food, go visit Yoder's Restaurant: Sarasota Amish Tradition | Amish Country Foods . Food is delicious and their pies are to die for.

:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting is gold. Post the Pic.:hello2::laughing7:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's still a bit early yet, give it a couple more weeks (summer is just kicking in), and with all the new sand building up the hunting is going to be slow for a while longer. In a couple of weeks we should seeing a significant increase in scattered goodies and better water. :thumbsup:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like we're "maybe" going to get a little help with the sand this weekend over here on the East Coast?

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of good hunters around here..... they do a great job ensuring if you hear something....anything you best dig it. Even if you dont find anything.... man arent those beach as nice as they come?

Dew

Slowwalker

May 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in a pink apt across the street from Siesta Key beach in 5th grade... I had some good times there. It has ome of the whitest sand around.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Yes it is slow for sure down here. I got about 75 cents in 2 days of hunting. Glad you had fun and didn't take any of our gold with you! lol

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three of us hunted 9 hours in the water at CWB yesterday and only got 80 coins and 3 junk earrings. The targets were so scarce that I kept thinking my detector had stopped working.

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
Great meeting you at Holmes. I found 3 junkers and a small siver ring. The water was perfect, but the finds were scarce.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hunt Those beaches all the time , The finds are Slim to none lately .

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
I am glad I read this thread. I was going to ride my bike over from Lake Placid and kill two birds with one stone, riding and metal detecting but if the beaches are that quiet, I may end up going to Port Lucie instead. Its the same distance and my Harley doesnt care which direction we're headed. LOL. TMAN...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread