What's new

Weapon...or iron Railing.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2006
Messages
10,425
Reaction score
2,724
Golden Thread
1
Location
UK
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: all

thought I would post this Iron piece I found a while back :icon_scratch: it has a leaf shape to the front, that resembles either a Arrow, or small Spear :help:

It is 5" long and tapers to a point at the outher end, the back is flat at the broad end :dontknow:

Have a look and see what you think :read2:

SS.
 

Attachments

  • fla 015.webp
    fla 015.webp
    88.9 KB · Views: 411
  • fla 016.webp
    fla 016.webp
    83.9 KB · Views: 410
4-H said:
Amazing! Is what I think.. I'll bet that is a spear point. Possibly cross bow?
Never thought of Cross-bow 4H :thumbsup:

SS
 
Upvote 0
S.S., I could easily be wrong, but don't think it is either. It is offset, and looks very much like completely disintegrated shaft from early digging tools where the thin metal has rusted away. (I have around here an example which I'll try to "dig up" :D)

Okay, I dug it up. When I dug this object it was still fairly large and appeared to be a small shovel. It immediately disintegrated to what you see. Although it is a little different thanyour's it seems the construction might be the same. Had it remained in the ground another hundred years it would have appeared to be a spike with one flat side and one side convex.
 

Attachments

  • tool1.webp
    tool1.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 359
  • tool2.webp
    tool2.webp
    62.3 KB · Views: 355
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
S.S., I could easily be wrong, but don't think it is either. It is offset, and looks very much like completely disintegrated shaft from early digging tools where the thin metal has rusted away. (I have around here an example which I'll try to "dig up" :D)

Okay, I dug it up. When I dug this object it was still fairly large and appeared to be a small shovel. It immediately disintegrated to what you see. Although it is a little different thanyour's it seems the construction might be the same. Had it remained in the ground another hundred years it would have appeared to be a spike with one flat side and one side convex.
I see were you are comming from Johnnyi, but mine is a much heavier construction, and the shaft tapers down from the head, (like the picture Iron Spike posted) also the shape is pretty much the shape, it would have originally been.

By the way this found on a Roman site.

SS.
 
Upvote 0
Why the flat back though :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
shaun7 said:
Why the flat back though :icon_scratch:
:dontknow: :help:

perhaps it was forged, and made on a Anvil :dontknow:

SS
 
Upvote 0
It's too small for a railing i think :-\
 
Upvote 0
shaun7 said:
It's too small for a railing i think :-\
Yea me to :-\ and the shaft is pointed, as if it went into something :dontknow:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
johnnyi said:
S.S., I could easily be wrong, but don't think it is either. It is offset, and looks very much like completely disintegrated shaft from early digging tools where the thin metal has rusted away. (I have around here an example which I'll try to "dig up" :D)

Okay, I dug it up. When I dug this object it was still fairly large and appeared to be a small shovel. It immediately disintegrated to what you see. Although it is a little different thanyour's it seems the construction might be the same. Had it remained in the ground another hundred years it would have appeared to be a spike with one flat side and one side convex.
I see were you are comming from Johnnyi, but mine is a much heavier construction, and the shaft tapers down from the head, (like the picture Iron Spike posted) also the shape is pretty much the shape, it would have originally been.

By the way this found on a Roman site.

S.S., actually the example I showed (which is just to demonstrate deterioration to a flat backed convex fronted forged object) is fairly large also, with the shaft measuring a half inch in diameter. Had it deteriorated further only the thickest part of the metal would have remained, and it would have eventually come to a point with what would look like bladed sides. I admit I don;t know what your object was part of, but it is the flat side which seems to eliminate either a weapon or a fence point.
 
Upvote 0
How about a wall mounted oramental spear :-\
 
Upvote 0
Head of a small javelin,like what were kept and used from chariots?
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hello S.S. Occasionally Iget stubborn about making a case, and as I see you going down the wrong road without accepting an obvious flaw in your arguments, this is one of those instances :D

First of all, and most obvious is...

Your object has a flat side.
"perhaps it was forged, and made on a Anvil" can't explain this away, as it certainly was forged on an anvil, but by a blacksmith who had the ability to turn it and beat it into any shape he desired.

I gave you an admittedly poor illustration of a flat sided pointed bar forged against steel which had partially deteriorated away. That object had one high domed side and one flat side. and the thick portion came to a point. Not visible in the scan is the fact that the thick portion extends wider than the width of the shaft, tperng to its edge. (The shaft itself on the object I illustrated is in fact thicker than yours, not thinner, as you'd thought it was)

When such an object fully deteriorates all the thinnest metal disappears. All that is left is the thicker forging of the shaft and the slightly wider point. It gives the appearance of a spear point at first glance, but of course it has that flat side which tells you it is not. In other words the final result of deterioration will conform to the thickest remaining metal, which in both our cases is a flat sided point slightly wider than the shaft itself. :)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom