What's new

Weapon...or iron Railing.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2006
Messages
10,425
Reaction score
2,724
Golden Thread
1
Location
UK
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: all

thought I would post this Iron piece I found a while back :icon_scratch: it has a leaf shape to the front, that resembles either a Arrow, or small Spear :help:

It is 5" long and tapers to a point at the outher end, the back is flat at the broad end :dontknow:

Have a look and see what you think :read2:

SS.
 

Attachments

  • fla 015.webp
    fla 015.webp
    88.9 KB · Views: 411
  • fla 016.webp
    fla 016.webp
    83.9 KB · Views: 410
I see both sides of this as to is it the real deal or not. I am leaning towards the real deal. In medieval days, some weapons may have been made in haste, therfore not having the "exact shape" desired, but effective nonetheless. Check out this site and see all the different styles. Silver Searcher's piece sure looks "right". http://www.ancienttouch.com/medieval arrowheads.htm
1261.webp
 
Upvote 0
Johnnyi how certain are you that your relic is a digging tool? Not suggesting Roman relic, but maybe older than you think?

How much cleaning has either relic gone trough?
 
Upvote 0
"Johnnyi how certain are you that your relic is a digging tool? Not suggesting Roman relic, but maybe older than you think?
How much cleaning has either relic gone trough?"

Hi Spike. I'm not certain at all what it is or when it is from. It could be ancient. All I'm saying is that it is not the point of a weapon because its flat side excludes that possibility. (any example of a point of any kind with one flat side would quickly prove me wrong) There are probably any number of tools such as the one I described which it might be, but I'm not familiar with the ancient ones.
 
Upvote 0
I see your point on the flat side. Just doesn't strike me as being more modern day digging tool :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
"I see your point on the flat side. Just doesn't strike me as being more modern day digging tool"

Yes, I think it's older than my object also, as all the surrounding metal had rusted away. If you could imagine mine in another hundred years, it too would be really difficult to date also, as it would appear to be a spear end with a bit longer point. Again, when I found it it was seven or eight inches wide, and that metal very quickly disintegrated when it came in contact with the elements. Had it not layed in an undisturbed barn yard, but instead had been kicked around by a plow and harrow for any number of years, th edeterioration would have happened much faster and cleaner.
It is usually the thinnest metal that rusts away first on objects we find, and when you've got a symetrical raised forging, its raised shape is going to stay relatively symetrical through all the stages of deterioration.
 
Upvote 0
7-8" wide. Length of relic johnnyi?
 
Upvote 0
"7-8" wide. Length of relic johnnyi?"

Sorry Spike. No, the object I showed you is nine inches long with a bar diameter of one half inch. When it came out of the ground the existing metal around the forging was about eight inches wide, but paper thin and very quickly deteriorated away.
 
Upvote 0
Maybe more like a masonry trowel rather than digging tool :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
I see both sides of this as to is it the real deal or not. I am leaning towards the real deal. In medieval days, some weapons may have been made in haste, therfore not having the "exact shape" desired, but effective nonetheless. Check out this site and see all the different styles. Silver Searcher's piece sure looks "right". http://www.ancienttouch.com/medieval arrowheads.htm
Great link Cheyenne :thumbsup: there are similarities with the one I posted :o

SS
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom