Weekend Civil War finds, and a nice Infantry button.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met up with my hunting buddy John Sat. at the usual cafe for breakfast. We were going to sift again but the fields were grazed down by the cattle. We decided to take advantage and do some detecting and we made some nice finds. It was a real nice day and combine that with my favorite hobby, man that it is just hard to beat it! The best find for me was the Infantry coat button, it still has some gilt and is in nice condition. Hope everyone had a great weekend, we sure did

Attachments

• nov 15 3 ringer in the hole.jpg
    nov 15 3 ringer in the hole.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 638
  • nov 15 09.jpg
    nov 15 09.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 618
  • nov 15 09 1.jpg
    nov 15 09 1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 628
  • nov 15 09 bullet.jpg
    nov 15 09 bullet.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 619
  • nov 15 09 i button.jpg
    nov 15 09 i button.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 628
  • nov 15 finds.jpg
    nov 15 finds.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 637
  • nov 15 i button just dug.jpg
    nov 15 i button just dug.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 626
Upvote 2

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Looks like you are in the right spot. WTG. Do you think the slot in the eagle button was put there on purpose. It looks like it from the pic. By the way those little tear drop pistol bullets aren't a real common find either.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neat finds tsgman! All that lead sprue looks like some kind of encampment was there? That lost daguerotype (frame) could probably tell a sad story if it could talk.

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vayank54 said:
Looks like you are in the right spot. WTG. Do you think the slot in the eagle button was put there on purpose. It looks like it from the pic. By the way those little tear drop pistol bullets aren't a real common find either.
That button was just starting to deteriorate, the soil here is not very kind to Eagle buttons. Sad thing is in another few years the majority of buttons here will be nothing but button backs. The tear drops were made at the St. Louis Arsenal and we find several around here. I probably have dug 50 or more the last five years.

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds all around !

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs ! You guys had a great day. Nice recoverys for sure. I can not wait till after deer season to dig some CW relics. You inspire me. Thanks for sharing.
TnMountains

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and awesome insitu pics!Odd that one button has all that gilt and another is rotting away?

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful save's as always Tim......wish they had those teardrop's aroud here,good stuff!!!

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Great finds and awesome insitu pics!Odd that one button has all that gilt and another is rotting away?
Most from this site are in rough shape, not sure if it's really all due to the soil, the fertilizing the fields or all the cow crap, lol. I have dug probably 30 or more buttons there and only half are intact. Out of the half only 5 or 6 of those have any gilt. I was really surprised this one was so good, it was kinda caked up with gunk when I dug it. I got some off by a gentle cleaning with a toothbrush, and the rest I scraped off gently with a toothpic.

Attachments

• i button just dug.jpg
    i button just dug.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 312

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
top of 3rd picture looks like the broken off top af a barrell tap key :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions