I escaped with my brother last weekend for a couple days of digging at a new site. Surface finds were difficult to come by although I did locate what I think might be the cut off barrel of a musket, epaulette scales and a nice dropped pistol bullet. The bullet, looks similar to a colt, however I compared it to several I have dug and its bigger. Perhaps a Sage? Any input would be nice. The remainder of the time was spent searching for fire pits and digging out a privy which had been dug previously many years ago but not sifted. The brass watch chain came from the privy wall. I searched desperately for the pocket watch without success. Several Uniform buttons wrapped in original uniform cloth came out as well, several of which were given to a friend. Seeing the Union blue is quite a site after 150 years. Given the amount I have found in period privies in this area I can only assume they used the old uniforms as toilet paper. The crossed sabres were a nice surprise out of a small firepit and are tough to dig intact. Eagle buttons and other camp items surfaced as well as a period Burnetts Hair tonic bottle, which I gave to a digging friend. Overall a great hunt and likely my last before DIV. I guess this will have to be the warm up. Thanks for looking, good luck and stay dirty.
Attachments
-
FullSizeRender3.webp186.3 KB · Views: 173 -
FullSizeRender2.webp166.1 KB · Views: 158 -
IMG_3744.webp72.3 KB · Views: 165 -
IMG_3677.webp147 KB · Views: 158 -
IMG_3675a.webp132 KB · Views: 155 -
FullSizeRender.webp91.3 KB · Views: 193 -
IMG_3671a.webp180.3 KB · Views: 154 -
IMG_3679.webp269.9 KB · Views: 141
Upvote
38








