What's new

Weekend Dig Finds

catherine1

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
1,817
Reaction score
1,080
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to see what else I could find at my new dig site Saturday for about 5 hours. Found a small fire pit with shell, bone, and pottery. The Hopewell bird point is one inch for size.
 

Attachments

  • WIN_20190217_17_52_19_Pro.webp
    WIN_20190217_17_52_19_Pro.webp
    109.5 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 0
Looks like the best share of a stone drill or is it whole. Is the bone piece an awl or chipping tool? Hard to tell in pics sometimes. You sure had some fun that's for sure.
 
I think the drill was a T drill. The bone piece I am not sure of, but I have seen a few in Steve Valentines displays.....
 
Last edited:
The bone looks like a catfish spine. They were used as awls, but they were also just leftovers from meals sometimes. On the toolized ones the little sawtooth barbs are usually worn away. I pick them up.

Nice little points.
 
Thanks Josh. I was thinking catfish spine awl also.....found a few in the midden close to where I found this one. The polish was what made me think it was be used.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom