Weekend of firsts from new Craigslist found site!! PT.1

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
This may take several posts to put up the pics because I am not good at resizing! This past weekend I finally got around to making contact with a reply I had to a Craigslist ad to hunt some old property....We first hit an abandoned house, where I dug a brass wedding ring, and what appears to be a brass spoon that has MED DEPT USA on the handle....any idea on age? After an hour or so there, we went to his parent's property, that had a couple of house sites at one time, and a stage coach stop somewhere close.....the first day of hunting I had found a license plate from 1934, and a couple of buttons....by the large oak in the front yard I found the old Hubley toy plane, and a '41 Merc, about 7 inches down(the soil here is like sugar sand...very easy to dig)...also found a harmonica reed, and various other items such as horse tack, a house number(which turned out to be a number off of a telegraph pole), an old condom tin lid, and then towards the end of the day, I found one of my best finds, tucked back in some pines, I dug a brass heart heel plate! The plate is in excellent condition, and now off the wish list! I hunted of course into the nite, and my last two items ended up being a couple of baggage tags...we are thinking from the stage coach stop we are trying to find, since there is no railroad anywhere near the town....The hunting would only get better the following day....
Baggins

Attachments

• Hubley plane.JPG
    Hubley plane.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,913
  • Heel plate and more.JPG
    Heel plate and more.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,918
  • Reeds box clamps.JPG
    Reeds box clamps.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,912
  • Baggage Tags.JPG
    Baggage Tags.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,904
  • tag close1.JPG
    tag close1.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,897
  • Tag close2.JPG
    Tag close2.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,899
Upvote 0
Great finds i love those heel plates i only have found 1 so far on a old farm plantation from mid 1850,s here near my home the back of mine has a 2 on it . HH Jim

Attachments

• heel plate 10-27-2009.jpg
    heel plate 10-27-2009.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,832
  • heel plate 10-27-2009.jpg
    heel plate 10-27-2009.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,828
No number on mine, but I was stoked to have finally found one!
Baggins

Attachments

• heel plate1.JPG
    heel plate1.JPG
    331.3 KB · Views: 1,789
  • Heel plate2.JPG
    Heel plate2.JPG
    308.8 KB · Views: 1,770
Love that plane!! Worth a few bucks too!

GopherDaGold said:
Love that plane!! Worth a few bucks too!

Any idea on age? You can even still read the sticker on the wing!
Baggins

Attachments

• Flying Circus.JPG
    Flying Circus.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,684
Nice shield nickel!

Joe

what are the dimensions on the plane?

Attachments

• P-40_warhawk_web.jpg
    P-40_warhawk_web.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,635
Airplane and a heel plate, now that's a great hunt for cool finds.
I got one that was in great condition.

Attachments

• detecting finds 1155.jpg
    detecting finds 1155.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,529
SkyPirate said:
what are the dimensions on the plane?

I would say the wingspan is almost 8.5" and about 8" long....it is pretty big , and was about 5" down....I was surprised as to what good condition it was still in, and my friend said it wasn't his toy as a kid, and he had lived there since the '70s...Like he said, there were two other house sites that were on that property when they bought it....
Baggins

I liked the Plane and may try Craigslist also. I usually get a phone number off of the Real Estate sign and usually they are very friendly

Attachments

• T,Hunter Clay Big.JPG
    T,Hunter Clay Big.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 1,443
  • T,Hunter Clay Big.JPG
    T,Hunter Clay Big.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 1,411
Hey Goldnugget, that works pretty well too!
Baggins

Baggins said:
This may take several posts to put up the pics because I am not good at resizing! This past weekend I finally got around to making contact with a reply I had to a Craigslist ad to hunt some old property....We first hit an abandoned house, where I dug a brass wedding ring, and what appears to be a brass spoon that has MED DEPT USA on the handle....any idea on age? After an hour or so there, we went to his parent's property, that had a couple of house sites at one time, and a stage coach stop somewhere close.....the first day of hunting I had found a license plate from 1934, and a couple of buttons....by the large oak in the front yard I found the old Hubley toy plane, and a '41 Merc, about 7 inches down(the soil here is like sugar sand...very easy to dig)...also found a harmonica reed, and various other items such as horse tack, a house number, an old condom tin lid, and then towards the end of the day, I found one of my best finds, tucked back in some pines, I dug a brass heart heel plate! The plate is in excellent condition, and now off the wish list! I hunted of course into the nite, and my last two items ended up being a couple of baggage tags...we are thinking from the stage coach stop we are trying to find, since there is no railroad anywhere near the town....The hunting would only get better the following day....
Baggins www.utahseaplaneadventures.com/vintageaircrafttoys/models.html plane.... Great find!

I saw a couple planes on eBay that looked just like yours with the same dimensions. Unfortunately I can't upload any pics while at work but several of them looked to be in the same condition as yours. They weren't going for tons of money but they were selling and are quite collectible.
Probably manufactured in the late 40's or early 50's.
I think I would keep it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back