Weird 1982 Proof Set

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
Silver Tones....and copper is brown..... Posting pics would be the best bet.

alpha105 said:
Silver Tones....and copper is brown..... Posting pics would be the best bet.
The coins were not real silver, I just meant that the silver colored ones (dime, nickel, quarter, half dollar) were.
I have never seen a proof or mint set with a brown cent, it is toned or the same red color.
I don't know if what the guy selling it is said is true or if it just toned with age.
And I know pics would be best but I don't own the proof set.

Ahhh....to be fair though any silver colored coin can tone i've noticed.......i just pulled a 1989-S Half dollar out of a box of halves and its slightly toned......wouldnt doubt that they were actually toned as mint sets are sealed pretty nicely......

alpha105 said:
wouldnt doubt that they were actually toned as mint sets are sealed pretty nicely......
Did you mean you would doubt?

Sunlight will tone- there's your answer of sorts. The set has been left out and exposed, my best guess anyways. Nothing really weird about it? :)

Jeffro said:
Sunlight will tone- there's your answer of sorts. The set has been left out and exposed, my best guess anyways. Nothing really weird about it? :)
But it is toned on both sides of the coins. :icon_scratch:

I know that the coins being toned isn't weird but I thought that the brown cent and token was weird because I have never seen that before.

I might be wrong but somewhere in the past I read about heating coins in the oven, after you've applied some chemical, to tone them. I guess if they were sealed in plastic it could do the same thing. It's a memory fragment so I could be way off base.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back