What's new

Weird box...

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2008
Messages
1,415
Reaction score
412
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Had a strange box today. All the coins had a weird look to them, kinda a gray tint. Didn't think much for first few rolls as I was driving and roll searching on the highway to work but on the fourth roll I did a sound check and sure enough there was a silver 40% hiding in there. They all looked about the same though and I figured must have just been an odd 40% until a couple rolls later out popped another that was the same way. I was figuring a dog box and a searcher had just missed that first one. This continued on and I was pulling a few but they all looked the same. The weirdest thing was when a 90% Kennedy rolled out and sure enough you could barely identify it by sight. Ended up with a decent box of 15 40% and 3 90%. Wish the rest of the boxes were that way but the other three boxes were skunkers. Sorry no photos to post today - maybe another day. Anyone ever seen that?

Maine_Jim
 
Upvote 0
I don't know if this is on point with what you observed, but I have noticed that when someone has stashed a batch of halves for a long time they tend to look the same when observing the rims.

For example, sometimes when I get a bunch of handrolls, I notice that even though they might not have any silver, they are not dumps per se from a CRHer. But they are someone's stash of halves that they had saved since the 70s and 80s. Usually these coins will all have the same look to them, especially the rims even though the coins may be 10 years apart in age. Since they were all stored together they appear to tone in the same way.

This differs from the normal fed rolls that have a mix of all kinds of coins where the rims all look a bit different when looked at side by side.

Jim
 
maine_Jim said:
Had a strange box today. All the coins had a weird look to them, kinda a gray tint. Didn't think much for first few rolls as I was driving and roll searching on the highway to work but on the fourth roll I did a sound check and sure enough there was a silver 40% hiding in there. They all looked about the same though and I figured must have just been an odd 40% until a couple rolls later out popped another that was the same way. I was figuring a dog box and a searcher had just missed that first one. This continued on and I was pulling a few but they all looked the same. The weirdest thing was when a 90% Kennedy rolled out and sure enough you could barely identify it by sight. Ended up with a decent box of 15 40% and 3 90%. Wish the rest of the boxes were that way but the other three boxes were skunkers. Sorry no photos to post today - maybe another day. Anyone ever seen that?

Maine_Jim
Jim,
I get a few of the grey tinted ones every week. None have been silver yet,but I always check them out good anyway.
HH
Rich
 
I have seen that before. Got ahold of some customer rolls in at a bank in Florida and the majority had that gray-ish overtone. Wasnt sure if either someone had stored them where humid or salty air had gotten to them or perhaps they had been through a flood. These came out of a collection because they were all grouped by date in the wrappers with the date written on the roll.
 
Got some that were like that too, today, when I grabbed a box.
The rims were a did giveaway that there were no silvers.
But looking at the face of the coins, you would have to look real carefully at the dates, because they sure looked like real silvers toe me.

GL y'all
HH
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom