What's new

Weird civil war bullet

CMartis

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2014
Messages
77
Reaction score
47
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this bullet behind my house today. Looks like it was melted or something.

IMG_0740.webp

IMG_0741.webp

IMG_0742.webp
 
Upvote 2
I don't think this is a civil war bullet. It just dosent look right for any of the types that I know about. As to the little gouges, I'm not sure.
 
I'm 100% sure it is a civil war bullet.
 
Well them let's gather some evidence. What does it mic at? How long is it? It looks as if it was bifurcated, then hit something. It is not just an impact because there is not enough distented material to account for the flattened portion.
 
Maybe its been struck by farm equipment? If it is Civil war, and is a bullet, that is a long time and anything could have mutilated that piece. Cool find though. Hope you get an ID HH :icon_thumright:
 
I measured it. Looks like the diameter was 20mm and it was 25mm long.
 
I don't think it is a bullet or any kind of projectile.
 
Decent size chunk of lead you recovered, but it doesn't appear to be a bullet with those dimensions. .78/.79 caliber and .98 length doesn't match up with anything in CWP that I was able to identify.
 
Last edited:
now the American rev war had muskets that used round ball ammo of those sizes --british brown bess was a .75 dia -- and other French muskets were quite large bore sizes as well -- might be rev war ball mangled a bit.
 
Guess I need to add this to the what is it thread.
 
Dang man! It's hard to tell esp. from a picture.
Soft lead can take all kinds of crazy forms (Esp, when fired as a bullet).

Your piece has good patina on it, so it's my guess that it's pretty old. ( I'm no M&M or Round ball to Rim-Fire expert)
but it seems to [maybe once have been round] also (on the inside-IMO has the look of HI Velocity impact) but that flat part gets me unless it struck something flat( (DAAAA) and it was once round or some other shape.

I,m getting confused myself. It could be about anything but you know where you found it and the areas history "I assume"
So good luck on the id .

If you don't already know there will be a Civil War Show in Dalton I think one of the first two weekends in Feb & if youve had no id before then take it there and get some opinions and enjoy the show.
Davers
 
I plan on going to the show. I will definitely take it and see what they can tell me.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom