Weird old toothpick holder?

A

anitap

I don't know whether this is the place to post this or not but here it is. I bought this thingy cheap in a garage sale. Didn't know what it was but thought it was interesting. :o Is this a vintage toothpick holder or a strange pin cushion? The perforated domed top and three curled legs are sterling silver. The black cylinder body could be Bake-lite but I just can't tell for sure if it’s Bake-lite or metal. It isn't attracted to a magnet. It has a small circular flat piece of sterling in the middle of the bottom about 1/4 inch in diameter that has the letter R over the word Sterling. I had to use a loop to read this. This object is 2 inches tall and is about 1 1/2 inches across the diameter of the cylinder. At least one time it was used as a toothpick holder because I think it has a small tip of a toothpick under the dome inside. You can hear it when you shake it. It does not open up. I welcome any opinions on it. Thanks! :P

Attachments

• Toothpick Holder Sterling.JPG
    Toothpick Holder Sterling.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 214
  • Toothpick Holder Sterling2.JPG
    Toothpick Holder Sterling2.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 209

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup,it's a salt shaker.As to whether it's bakelite or not,I don't know.You can rub it and smell it,but i've never done it so I wouldn't know what to smell for.It's called the "smell test".It's supposed to put off an oily or deisel or chemical smell or something,i'm not sure.Anybody?

Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's a pounce shaker ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

anitap

It just didn't occur to me that it could be a salt shaker. If you guys are pretty sure about that, I'll try to pry off the plug in the bottom. I'm not gonna pry hard cause I don't want to break it. I sure want to see if that plug comes out. Being sterling, it was kind of a fancy S & P set for someone! 8) Thanks for the input!!

Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry , couldn't resist !
mojjax