What's new

Weird round thing

relichunters

Bronze Member
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
1,647
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Found this is a cw historic area, it was shallow so isn't related. It's now a brand new school that sits on the land. It isn't a washer, too thick and has grooves on the side it appears. Hard to tell if it's a perfect circle or not. Any ideas? It's about the exact size of a half dollar. Appears to be a metal rather than iron.
 

Attachments

  • round1.webp
    round1.webp
    28 KB · Views: 558
  • round2.webp
    round2.webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 544
  • round3.webp
    round3.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 546
a small pulley of some sort
 
Upvote 0
I was thinking bearing too. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Is the center the same metal as the rest of it. It looks like there might be a bearing in the center that the rest of the disc would turn on.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a wheel bearing, the kind you would find on the bottom of a sliding glass door that helps roll it in its track.

Jeff
 
Upvote 0
IM going with a wheel bearing but more on the industrial side
Ive seen these on band saws
Brady
 
Upvote 0
Could it be a clutch release bearing? :dontknow: bearing.webp

ADDED: sorry same pic turtlefoot posted. :-[
 
Upvote 0
Curious if this is actually a bearing as most modern bearings are made from metals that do not rust, even the cage (if used). The center hole diameter is also rather small but does look like its a different color as if made of brass (inserted bushing?)
 
Upvote 0
relichunters said:
I can try to get some more rust off of it, if that would help?


If your comfortable removing a bit of the gunk it may help in a positive I.D. Perhaps holding it under hot water and using your thumb
to gently rub a bit off might be enough. :coffee2:
 
Upvote 0
I think electrolysis is the best method for ferrous metal.
 
Upvote 0
relichunters said:
I guess I could do that, I was thinking a hammer and a chisel.

BCH's suggestion may be better, I only suggested water/thumb as it looks flaky enough to remove a bit without damage. You never know
what may be hidden underneath! :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a Thrust Washer for a wheel bearing. Possibly on a cart or bicycle.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom