What's new

Welcome To Desert Detecting

I'm a little surprised there have been no posts here. I live near Tucson and find desert detecting has lots of possibilities. I hike a lot into remote areas and often notice areas of quartz on the surface. These are interesting areas to detect for possible Au. The desert landscape allows for one to notice the details of the geology. During my last hike it appears to me that there is a N-S zone of quartz and quartzite just north of Catalina State Park. I think this is associated with the Pirate fault. If anyone is interested in detecting these areas of quartz please PM me. It will be detecting on National Forest.
 
I know a little bit about desert detecting. This should be a great subforum!
 

Attachments

  • 29.webp
    29.webp
    61.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Mike3.webp
    Mike3.webp
    3.4 MB · Views: 84
  • Mike2.webp
    Mike2.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
  • 32.webp
    32.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 31.webp
    31.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 29.webp
    29.webp
    61.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 59.webp
    59.webp
    44.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 32.webp
    32.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 30.webp
    30.webp
    24.8 KB · Views: 78
The main thing to remember when detecting in desert environments, is that ground conditions can change in a matter of feet. You need to be able to recognize these changing mineral conditions and keep your machine ground balanced. With the original Fisher Gold Bug, we needed to re-balance every ten-feet. Today's machines can automatically re-balance with ground tracking, but you can't always trust that. Meteorite hunting proves this out up near Gold Basin, AZ. If you are not properly balanced you can walk right over one.
 
BC5391: Looks like an interesting site. I did a recon hike today up to some apparent prospect pits near Oracle. There are at least 20 pits with a lot of ore strewn about. It appears to be hydro-thermal quartz material with a lot of orange-brown accumulation anywhere the fluids worked through the quartz. The material appears similar to the ore from the Southern Belle mine south of Oracle. Next trip will be with the detector.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom