Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 5

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start with preset programs,don't monkey with setting til you get to know the machine.
Dig all signals, good or iffy your first few trips out.
Once you feel confident with detector, you can tweek settings.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Patience. I guess this is true with all new detectors. My biggest mistake was trying to run it too hot. Still goes deep around 18 sensitivity for exploring around old sites and is much quieter. You can go even lower and slower and sniff out masked items at sites you have pounded. Other mistake I made was running recovery too fast. Start out in the middle recovery numbers. Have fun and no doubt you will kill it with the Nox!

Also, Tnetโ€™s Nox forum has several very knowledgeable active members. No bad questions and lots of eager dudes out there willing to help.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To upgrade from the etrac, ive used it faithfully since i started 3 years ago, well i use the racer 2 some as well, but as a backup,

I just ordered the EQUINOX 800!

For those who already own it, any tips?

Use it for 2 years & just about start to understand it. No short-cuts on a machine like that, just lots of time learning.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I have an Explorer II ,CTX and a Nox 600.I have used FSB for over a decade.The Nox is real nice unit for the money,wireless,waterproof and light but it's not deep silver seeker that those units .It's good but not as good as those.

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went from a Minelab Quattro to the Nox 800. I seldom mess with the settings. In fact I havenโ€™t even upgraded the software. Too many horror stories. I mostly use the factory setting. I have hit a Morgan silver dollar in dry soil 12โ€ deep. And recently a Walker Half 6โ€ in sand. I have found numerous rings, both silver and gold just using the factory settings. Itโ€™s almost too easy with the clad coins. Initially, I set up a test site, and placed silver and gold jewelry as well as silver and clad coins, to learn the scale score and tone. I recorded everthing on my cell. I would say that eight out of ten hits, the test pattern is correct. That is, when I hit a consistent 13, itโ€™s typically a nickel, 27, dime, 28,29 quarter. Silver coins and silver jewelry run in the 38,39. Gold rings been running 8,9 and 10. Each detector is a little different and yours being new probably has the new software, so the scale scores will be different. Make a test field and record the scale scores and get a feel for the different tones. Also, there is a โ€œMinelab Ownersโ€ website that is helpful. Itโ€™s not as robust as Treasure Net, but itโ€™s specific to Minelab detectors and there are some good instructional video links that are helpful. Good luck and happy hunting.

OP
OP
crabstang44

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went from a Minelab Quattro to the Nox 800. I seldom mess with the settings. In fact I havenโ€™t even upgraded the software. Too many horror stories. I mostly use the factory setting. I have hit a Morgan silver dollar in dry soil 12โ€ deep. And recently a Walker Half 6โ€ in sand. I have found numerous rings, both silver and gold just using the factory settings. Itโ€™s almost too easy with the clad coins. Initially, I set up a test site, and placed silver and gold jewelry as well as silver and clad coins, to learn the scale score and tone. I recorded everthing on my cell. I would say that eight out of ten hits, the test pattern is correct. That is, when I hit a consistent 13, itโ€™s typically a nickel, 27, dime, 28,29 quarter. Silver coins and silver jewelry run in the 38,39. Gold rings been running 8,9 and 10. Each detector is a little different and yours being new probably has the new software, so the scale scores will be different. Make a test field and record the scale scores and get a feel for the different tones. Also, there is a โ€œMinelab Ownersโ€ website that is helpful. Itโ€™s not as robust as Treasure Net, but itโ€™s specific to Minelab detectors and there are some good instructional video links that are helpful. Good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks mate

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Deep1 and Crusader. I have had mine for 5 months, and I'm still using factory presets, but that's my choice. It's not because I can't use custom settings yet, it's because the factory presets have done quite well for me, including finding a gold ring, silver rings, and 2 Walking Liberty Half dollars besides other silvers. It is a great detector and I'm sure you will like it.

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of interest in that detector. Good luck!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the 800, and contrary to the weather here of late, it's supposed to be warm today. A year ago, about, I found a WW1 button out my back porch. I've searched my yard for 30 years with many other detectors = I probably didn't swing there at that specific spot. But, with the weather - it's time to swing here again :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't expect miracles or a major upgrade overall. It's better in many respects, but, IMO, not quite as good in others. They compliment each other very well though. In comparing the two, I still like the numbering system better on the E-trac, and the ability to I.D. a bottle cap easily. In a trashy and/or iron riddled site, the advantage definitely goes to the Nox. It's also a lot lighter and is waterproof. Depth is comparable, and both do well in wet salt water sand. In the saltwater, the Nox is a bit more stable. In an area with EMI, the E-trac seems to handle it better. Bottom line for me is, if I'm only going to hunt dry sand at the beach, or, I'm going to a place with nasty EMI, I'll still use the E-trac. For everything else, I like the Nox better.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those who already own it, any tips?

Yeah quick, send it back before you turn it on!

(Just kidding, it's amazing)

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nox has revived hunted out spots for many owners and it should do the same for you. I have owned the detector since April last year and to this day I still use mostly stock settings and never ground balance when in Multyfrequency. The detector has paid for itself a few times already. Congrats on the purchase and HH.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck with the machine! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread