What's new

Well, I thought it was a penny

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
1,755
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

I was playing around with my electrolysis setup and decided to expiriment on a Large Cent. So I pulled out the coin album and picked one to test. I chose a coin that I had not been able to get any detail off the obverse, but there was no dirt or pitting visible. So I figured it would be a good one to test.

So I zapped it, and to my surprise, new details have emerged and I am convinced this is not a Large Cent afterall. Now I am wondering what in the heck it is? I am including some pictures of both sides, with all the details on the reverse I can see highlighted. If you have any idea what this might be, I would greatly appreciate your insight.

Thank you,
Anthony
 

Attachments

  • huh obv.webp
    huh obv.webp
    70.2 KB · Views: 347
  • huh rev.webp
    huh rev.webp
    85.7 KB · Views: 355
  • huh rev2.webp
    huh rev2.webp
    90.1 KB · Views: 352
That was fast! Found a pic through google that is almost exactly like this one. Ill keep digging and post a good link once I find it.

Thank you,
Anthony
 
Upvote 0
Narthoniel said:
That was fast! Found a pic through google that is almost exactly like this one. Ill keep digging and post a good link once I find it.

Thank you,
Anthony

Cool find! How's the cleaning work going on the other items?
 
Upvote 0
Found it, took a lot of internet sleuthin, but here it is. Not sure what year this particular coin was made or the rarity. Does anyone have a book to identify these factors by?

It reads:
MERCHANT EXCHAGE WALL ST N YORK
BUILT 1827
BURNT 1835

Buckles - what other items? ;)

Anthony
 

Attachments

  • obverse.webp
    obverse.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 320
  • reverse.webp
    reverse.webp
    37.4 KB · Views: 317
Upvote 0
Ralau lists three different HT Merchants Exchange tokens:
#291: Dash mark under 'cent'; "6 berries in, 4 out" VG $7
#292: Dash mark under 'cent'; "3 berries in, 3 out" (most valuable) VG $800
#293: No dash mark under 'cent' VG $7
Each is made of copper; 28mm
All made in 1837.
Ralau notes rarity for 291 and 293 as 1; rarity value for 292 is 7.
Don.....
 
Upvote 0
Looks like mine is the non dash variety. Thank you for the help, I appreciate it!
Anthony
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom