What's new

Well, what do I do now?

goldencoin

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
5,669
Reaction score
452
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at some inherited coins in a safe deposit box, and to my horror, many were seriously discolored. It was PVC. I looked online to figure out ways to clean them, and they were saying acetone, or a product called Koinsolv. They are silver halves and morgan/Peace in circulated condition, but with a heavy, ugly black tarnish. They are not bullion coins, but collected by my grandma in her CRH'ing conquests as a cashier (you should see her collection) So, should I

A) Use the commercial Koinsolve
B) Try Acetone
C) Clean them with water
D) Do nothing

After doing blank, I plan on putting them in round coin tubes.

Thanks

HH
-GC

(PS, todays CRH'ing conquests yielded 2 62 roosies)
 
Upvote 0
Start by doing nothing. In what way are the coins discolored? Do they have toning to them, which may dramatically enhance the value? Do they have sticky green sludge on them which would detract from the value? Posts pics if you are not sure but here is a link that has some info on cleaning coins dos and don'ts.

http://74.6.239.67/search/cache?ei=...ilver+coins+pvc&d=Wvmjbg-YSRCJ&icp=1&.intl=us

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you are able to make out dates and mintmarks and can identify a rare coin, then bring it to a pro. Also, be sure to keep those coins seperate from your other coins, the green crud that grows on coins due to being stored in PVC will spread.
 
D has my vote, take them to a coin dealer & see what they might say.


Chris
 
Never clean a coin unless you either know EXACTLY what you are doing or don't care if you lose value because of it.

Most of the common ways of cleaning a coin are detectable.

Personally I would do D.
 
One more to add to the list - since you did say that they were circulated.

E) Carry one in each pocket until the right circulated look returns.

Since typical coins become worn through handling and being in pockets or purses, why not put a bunch of pieces of denim or other cloth in a tumbler and then tumble one coin at a time. This way you will end up with the natural look on a coin. May be crazy, I don't know, but also may be worth a shot.

HH,

Scott (MI)
 
The do nothing approach seems to be the trend these days. So I would say that's your best bet. I also inherited some old coins that were in a safe deposit box and were discolored. Personally I think they are beautiful the way they are and I cherish them since they have been in my family for 150+ years.

-Codes
 
It depends on the coins. Please provide dates and mintmarks. If you have 1921 Peace dollars or 1893-S Barber halves my answer would be different then bullion coins. Here is my answer for bullion coins. I think you need to stop the damage first. If you are positive that it is PVC residue then I would dip them in acetone to stop the damage from going any further.


HH
65GT350
 
I don't have exact dates, so I'll just clean them with water and put them in real cases

HH
-GC
 
I think (D) is the way to go.

People will like the coins more with the tones than if they knew you cleaned them. If you want to clean one to see how it turns out well... That's your call, but do it to one that is not as valuable as the rest. Everyone says D but no one says why. Cleaning a coin can distroy any value it has, its like putting a hole in them.

Keep @ it and HH!!
 
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
I think (D) is the way to go.

People will like the coins more with the tones than if they knew you cleaned them. If you want to clean one to see how it turns out well... That's your call, but do it to one that is not as valuable as the rest. Everyone says D but no one says why. Cleaning a coin can distroy any value it has, its like putting a hole in them.

Keep @ it and HH!!
I don't understand. If it's only a bullion coin, how does it hurt the value by cleaning?
 
Coins that lose value by cleaning are just collectible coins or rare coins.

Bullion is not affected.

I can clean a Silver Eagle 1 oz of popular date with no problems. The value will not be affected. But If I clean a
Silver Eagle Reverse Proof I am dammed.

DW
 
let me just add to it.

You can have a Bullion that is also a rare coin

DW
 
goldencoin said:
I don't have exact dates, so I'll just clean them with water and put them in real cases

HH
-GC

GC,

If it is PVC damage water will not stop the chemical reaction. You need to use acetone to stop the reaction. Here is a good process for using acetone and not rubbing the coin.

Get 4 glass containers. Put acetone in 2 of them. Put distilled water in 1 and isopropyl alcohol in the other.

If the coin is heavily coated you may need to soak it in the acetone overnight so don't pour the other containers since acetone evaporates quickly.

1) Soak the coin in the first container of acetone for 5 minutes or longer
2) Remove coin from container 1 and put in container 2 (Acetone) and remove quickly
3) Place coin in container 3 (Distilled Water) and remove after 30 seconds
4) Dip the coin in container 4 (Alcohol) and remove quickly. The alcohol will evaporate off the coin quickly so you don't need to dry the coin.

65GT350
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom