Wells?

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
Just out of curiousity how many people here have dropped a magnet into a well? Seems like a good place to hide a cache or get rid of evidence. I know of 2 old wells with open tops within a 10th of a mile from here. I'm going to drop a neodymemium magnet into the one behind the old church a little later on today if everything goes all right. I think it would be interesting to see what could be dragged up if everyone here went and did the same and posted their finds. Who know's what you'll find. Just think of all the kids that have played around these wells over the years. You know someone out there is close to a well full of fun. If anyone else here has ever found anything in an old well then tell us what you found and how you did it. Just make sure your careful and don't fall in. Jason

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Believe it or not but there is a lot of stuff at the bottom of wells the only problem is that it is a well and it is full of water. I have heard a story about a well in Austin Texas. At one time they tried to drain the well but gave up after a couple of days. This well was in a rock store and had been used as a wishing well for a good number of years. There is no telling what all is down there some of them were even used as dumps. Remember to bring a lot of rope some wells were as deep as 200 feet.

C

Charles,Oak Island

Is it wide enough to put a diver on a hoist into ? Of course he would have to deal with the claustrophobia

rck_1

Oct 9, 2004
Knightdale, NC
Swizzle,
The only thing that I can think of that would be valuable in the bottom of a well is coins. Correct me if I am wrong, but coins of any kind unless they are made of iron, or they are from canada, are not magnetic. Anything in the bottom of a well that would stick to a magnet would probably be corroded beyond recognition bye now. Just my $.02

OP
OP
swizzle

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
How about this idea for coin recovery from a deep well. Coat a brick (or any heavy object) with a substance that will remain sticky in water. Tie it to a rope and drop it down. Next, Hope like hell all those old wells your checking have lbs of gold coins in them and that they stick until they get to the top. Jason

C

Charles,Oak Island

Try going down a 4 ft around well into a 50ft black hole with dive gear. I've been diving since 68 and own a black water scuba business it would bother me.

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
Hi; I have spent most of my working life in the commercial diving industry.. been over a mile up a 30" sewer pipe.. If there is a risk, you only die if your using 'SCUBA' gear... Down a well with Surface Supply is a piece of cake.. don't know why it would bother you?..

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
Yup.. yer right.. Thats why it should be done 'prepared'.. S.S. with good tender..
you never know what you could find.. I dropped down my well (65') in the early 70's, just to remove some trash I knew was down there (a kids wagon, some tree branches, a couple of big rocks.. No gold....ha..) Often thought about putting a pond on the front lawn with a sign that said 'wishing pond' then rake in the coins twice a month.. Oh well. I can dream..

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
When I read the post my first thought was the same as Charles, send a diver down with a hoist if you have some idea there may be something there.
However, the underwater camera does seem like a much more logical idea.
X

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
swizzle said:
Just out of curiousity how many people here have dropped a magnet into a well? Seems like a good place to hide a cache or get rid of evidence. I know of 2 old wells with open tops within a 10th of a mile from here. I'm going to drop a neodymemium magnet into the one behind the old church a little later on today if everything goes all right. I think it would be interesting to see what could be dragged up if everyone here went and did the same and posted their finds. Who know's what you'll find. Just think of all the kids that have played around these wells over the years. You know someone out there is close to a well full of fun. If anyone else here has ever found anything in an old well then tell us what you found and how you did it. Just make sure your careful and don't fall in. Jason

I'm kind of in the same situation. I know of a well/cistern (not sure what it is, perhaps both) on friend's property that I also have premission to hunt on. There may be a well feeding it from the bottom, or it may just be a cistern that has been full of water for several decades. The water is black, so I don't think I'll be able to use a camera, nor would that be my first choice. My plan is to pump out the water, then haul up buckets of sludge to sieve out. After that I'll do it the old fashioned way--metal detector and shovel. If anyone has any suggestions on exploring a well (no idea on how deep it actually goes), I'm all ears, especially in regards to what pump to use, special cautions, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread