What's new

Went for the PI dual

Barrell

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2012
Messages
74
Reaction score
21
Golden Thread
0
Location
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ive only owned cheap detectors that were worthless in the salt. I wanted to upgrade and after two weeeks of anal research I narrowed it down to the Tesoro sandshark vs Whites PI. The dealer is dropping off my PI today. Im still having second thoughts as the sandshark looks like a nice machine for less money and a lifetime warranty. But for now I am a Whites owner.
 
Upvote 0
Congrats on the new machine. Prepare to dig some DEEP holes!!!!! The machine will pay itself off in no time. I love the service I get from White's.
 
Best of luck to you! Get a GOOD sandscoop! :occasion14:
 
I have been back and forth about theese 2 as well..
I decided with the Minelab Excalibur ;) ..
Dont know if it was the right decition and worth the extra money but ill guess i have to try.. Havet got it yet though.

But good luck with White PI and happy hunting.
 
I went with the tesoro sand shark since it was in my budget however the minelab Excalibur will be my next choice.
 
Since we can just go with one of each you have to make the decision that works for you and most of all works with your budget. No matter what the choice somebody will say you should have gotten XYZ machine. I think when you pick one and your happy with the choice you made it was the right choice all along.
 
Congrats on the Whites. I own the dual field, sand shark, and excalibur. They are all excellent machines and each has paid for itself very quickly.
 
AFTER TWO WEEKS OF WHAT RESEARCH? Must have been a tough decision. But congrats on your new machine. Looking forward to see your finds. Good luck and happy hunting
 
AFTER TWO WEEKS OF WHAT RESEARCH? Must have been a tough decision. But congrats on your new machine. Looking forward to see your finds. Good luck and happy hunting
I joined and read five forums and went back up to a year in posts. I borrowed a beach hunter from a local dealer for afew days using in four times. I called both manufacturers and put them on the spot asking them why I should buy their machine over their competitors. The thing that influenced me the most was I called three dealers that sell both the Pi and the sandshark and all three told me for what Im gonna do (beach and underwater) to go with the PI. I still feel the Sandshark is a very capable machine at a lower price with a better warranty. So I went with the Pi with a little reluctance based on the dealers comments.
I used the Pi this morning and set it with the factory recomended settings. I noticed the background tone was never steady but wavered. Is that just the way it is? I found a bunch of clad change but nothing you guys would want to see a picture of.
 
Last edited:
Im sure someone with MUCH more knowledge than I have will chime in here and give you some excellent advice but for now I would recommend that you tinker with the settings a bit. I had a Sovereign GT and you had to dial it in, there was no "pre-set" for the beaches, every beach is going to be different from my experience anyway. Even now with the 305 I have to make spot adjustments to compensate for mineralization when I am out at the beach and when I go from dry to wet sand have to compensate for it all over. Your going to pick up ghost signals, well I did on my GT but once you get accustom to them you understand better what the detector is telling you. Its going to take some time so be patient and start tinkering with the Disc, notch and threshold to dial it in..............at least thats what I would do!!!!!
 
I have been using my Whites PI for a number of years now and still love it.
I used to use it on the dry sand too and would get blisters from all the digging (mostly junk) so I got an Ace 250 for that area.
I've seen that some people set the gain to factory recommended and the tone all the way down.
I have my gain at about factory and the gain a little higher than factory, I don't like too much buzzing in the ears.
I would say play with it...take some targets of your own to the sand to test. You find what suits you best.
Good luck and happy hunting.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom