30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stepped out of my truck and turned my machine on, in a local park
and this Park Maintanace worker walked up to me and stopped me cold.
Said it was against park regulations to do that anywhere on Any county property and that
included school yards, and that I had to leave.
I was so mad !!
what do you all think ?
Anyone else here from Charlotte ever got told off ?

Upvote 0

deanv63

Dec 14, 2009
Quincy Illinois
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
I'm from Illinois, and I get that bull shit every time I go out, people r straight up ass holes any more. I almost gave up, and I was going to sell all of my stuff, then I said to my self I would half to take the good, with the bad. hang In there, and don,t let them get u down! Dean

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Sometimes the workers are misinformed, I would contact the city or county office who are over the parks and talk with them.
I have had a few times when the workers had to be called and told it was OK to allow us to metal detect in the parks. Hang
in there!!! We have all been run off from some public land at one time or another.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We get it here in New Jersey sometimes too. Obviously, State and Federal lands are totally off guards, but, the county parks operate by a different set of rules. 99% of the time, I have no problem in the county parks. However, once and a while, I do have a set-back. My buddy and I hit a park about a month ago. The park policeman (glorified security guard) pulls his truck over and walks up to me. He was very nice, but, he said they normally don't allow metal detecting in the park because.....you guessed it.....hunters dig holes and don't fill them back up!!! I assured him I operate by different standards and even showed him my covered holes and all of the junk I was helping to clean. He then said, "Technically, you're not supposed to be here, but, I didn't see you. Just don't muss anything up." He then gave me a wink-wink and I was good to go. He did make sure to follow us around pretty darn well though :hello:

I've also had the coppers called on me in the county parks before too. Mostly from concerned parents or observers. However, I just showed them my I.D. and I was off and hunting again.

Most cops or parks workers COULD CARE LESS what you are doing in the park. As long as you are respecting the land and not messing things up or making trouble. They're more concerned about what they are going to eat for lunch :laughing7:

There is one county park here where I am itching to hit, but, was told by a worker last year they don't allow metal detecting :icon_scratch: So, I just found another one.

I'm pretty sure you won't have that problem much, but, it WILL happen from time to time. Just move on :headbang:

OP
OP
TORRERO

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now the whole story...
I've been in Charlotte for almost 15 years, I've hunted almost all the parks here, including that one.
In all that time no one has ever said anything to me... not a word, not boo...
But after this, he said it was against park regulations.
When I asked to see that regulations, he said he did not have a copy but I could see it if I went
to the Park & Rec department and asked...
So I did, and the guy I talked to there said the same thing, he gave me a copy of the rules,
and pointed out the section that said there is no "digging" or "disturbing" the "soil" "Plants" or anything else, or distruction of park grounds... so forth and so on...
I does not say anything about "Metal Detecting" not a word, but they clearly believe that this
clause prevents anyone from using one on these properties..
He did say that they were the Park and Rec Department and as such they do not have jurisdiction
over schools or school property....

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the no digging rule is a catch all for the uneducated. I have a local city park I detect with a no digging rule. I don,t use a digger just a brass probe to pop out the finds, also used pulling, a method where you push locking forceps in the ground and pull the find out. Works on smaller items. Funny thing is I have never been approached by a park employee or police in a dozen outings. "I wonder how much that fine would be!" The park is next to a 1600,s area of town! ::)

Ed D.

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a :newbie: and also live in the Charlotte area. I have always heard that it is illegal to MD in Char-Meck parks, :nono: and that's why I've never detected in one. I personally think this stinks. :BangHead: We pay taxes and should have the right to use the parks too. I'm old. I don't play soccer, basketball, baseball, softball, jog, have picnics or any of that other youth oriented S%#&. I guess people over the years have been disrespectful of the park grounds, left holes, etc. and we are the ones who are suffering the consequences. I hate it as much as you do, but there's not a lot we can do.
I see you live near tank town, any virgin sites over your way you want to give up? :laughing9:

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
R>D> The parks have been of limit for a number of years. I haven't searched any schools for along time, when you and I believe were at a school off of Monroe Road.. I saw you leaving your house the other day with the Boat, too bad i didn't detect your yard while you were gone. The other early 1900 house in your area is still waiting for me to detect.This is my Beach coin from May ( S.C. )

Attachments

• Capmh17612.jpg
    Capmh17612.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 622
OP
OP
TORRERO

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldnugget said:
R>D> The parks have been of limit for a number of years. I haven't searched any schools for along time, when you and I believe were at a school off of Monroe Road.. I saw you leaving your house the other day with the Boat, too bad i didn't detect your yard while you were gone. The other early 1900 house in your area is still waiting for me to detect.This is my Beach coin from May ( S.C. )
If your watching me so much why won't you go hunting with me ???
I have a place you would like, but I want someone to go with me..

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in charlotte and have tried hunting the parts a couple of times. Every time I have been asked to leave. The Park police are everywhere in the parks and enforce the no digging rule. It is best to leave them alone.

jim

De.Digger

Apr 16, 2010
Delaware
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-trac ,Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not familiar with North Carolina laws, but check the NC forum here on T-net and see if any laws are posted. I have also found that
that is best to kill them with polliteness and say your sorry and were unaware of the laws. Some people can be jerks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread