Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been way too busy to even think about detecting the last few months, but I finally made some time to get out in the last few weeks. I've been trying to focus more on Civil War relics and getting onto those type of sites. I went back to a spot where I have been finding bullets and I was able to sneak out a few more big .69 caliber 3 ringers and a nice J hook. Right before I was leaving I got a nice signal that turned out to be a pretty rare Wisconsin State Militia button that cleaned up nicely.

So this weekend I got permission for a spot that I researched and have been wanting to get on for a while, It's a good sized property that has an old house built in the 1850's that saw action during The War from both sides and was used as a hospital. I was told the common story that it's been hunted a bunch over the years but I was welcome to hunt it anytime. I stared out late in the evening and right at sunset I got a nice signal and popped out a 1967 Kennedy Half. Only my second silver one of those and it was a nice surprise. Darkness quickly set in and I worked my way to the back hill side of the old house. I started to find some fired bullets and I was having a time getting them out of the hard packed dry soil. We are needing rain in a bad way. I was pretty happy to be finding some lead and then lucked up on a great looking bayonet scabbard tip with the finial still intact. I went back to digging a few bullets and had a signal that rang in about the same but with more of a high tone to it. I was hoping for something good as I chiseled it out and found it in the dark, I could see that it was a tiny coin. I turned my headlamp on and I about did a back flip when I realized it was an 1833 Capped Bust Half Dime! I dug my first one last August and it is pretty slick, this one is pretty sweet. I couldn't focus on anything else as I text my wife and buddies about what I had just found. I did manage a few more fired Williams cleaners but had to pull myself away as it was getting late. I can't wait until we get some good rain and I can spend some more time on this property. HH - David

6RUiueY.jpg

qryrQuS.jpg

oNL0BT5.jpg

OSn50bM.jpg

jSdW5I9.jpg

olG8Bo2.jpg

qFZwdpa.jpg

E3S5twz.jpg

dCrgNoT.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 47

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. I can find 3 cobs in 2 days but not one capped bust in over 3 years. Guess I need to focus on “newer” sites lol.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! You need rain? Wish we could send you some of our rain (over 12" last week...)

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. I can find 3 cobs in 2 days but not one capped bust in over 3 years. Guess I need to focus on “newer” sites lol.

Yeah maybe you can send me some of that cob luck my way and I'll trade out some of my newer finds luck. Congrats on the cobs! Those don't come up often!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! You need rain? Wish we could send you some of our rain (over 12" last week...)

Thanks Megalodon! Yeah that's a ton of rain! Too much is as miserable as not enough. Hope it dries out some for you.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of bullets! The old half dime takes the cake though, such a very nice find. It's great when an owner says you're welcome to hunt at any time. Grats!!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of bullets! The old half dime takes the cake though, such a very nice find. It's great when an owner says you're welcome to hunt at any time. Grats!!

Thanks! And yes we have some nice folks around here that seem to love history as much as I do. I would have to find a new hobby if it wasn't for generous land owners.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Dave! Those are some great finds and one sweet bucket list piece of silver!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very rewarding hunt Dave. The silver coins are in great shape. That scabbard tip has beautiful petina and the 3B’s ( buckle. Buttons and bullets) are definitely keepers for sure. Some super saves by Sooper Dave. Congrats

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the very productive hunt! :occasion14:

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a treasure haul! Both in value and historical measures. Very well done mate! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very rewarding hunt Dave. The silver coins are in great shape. That scabbard tip has beautiful petina and the 3B’s ( buckle. Buttons and bullets) are definitely keepers for sure. Some super saves by Sooper Dave. Congrats

Thanks Hawks! Always fun to dig the 3B's

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a treasure haul! Both in value and historical measures. Very well done mate! :occasion14:

Thanks Javadroid! It's always a thrill to save some history!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow, doesn't get better than that. Well maybe on the next hunt.Congrats

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn you Soops! I want a capped or draped silver so damn bad. Good job Buddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread