Went on a Relic Hunt today and found a Barber...

KingsMtnMan

Greenie
Jan 18, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Infinium, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine in Eastern NC told me several months ago that he had bought some property and supposedly there had been one of Sherman's camps on it. Obviously I have wanted to check it out for quite some time but since its 3 1/2 hours away I would only be able to hunt it when I would be passing through the area. Due to a business trip this past week, I was able to take a stroll through the property for about 2 hours Thursday and of course I had my GTI 2500 in hand. I was a little disappointed that I didn't find any buttons or bullets or civil war treasures but I did find a heck of alot of trash, plenty of shot shell casings and mostly things I have no clue what they are, but I dug 'em anyway. The funniest thing happened there in the woods....I got a zinc penny signal at four inches and shoveled out a scoop of dirt to see a shiny coin looking thingy laying there. I thought, "What the heck is a token doing out here in the middle of no-where?" Well, a closer inspection revealed that it said" One Dime" on the back and had a Barber Head on the other!!! My goodness! My first Barber Dime! An 1892! In the middle of no-where!!! Well, I didn't find much else worth mentioning but did enjoy the fine weather and just a chance to get out and hunt. I told my friend I'd be back soon and hunt the other 46 acres he owns across the river.

I also took a couple photos of the cleaned coin with my new camera. I realize the lighting isn't exactly right yet but hopefully with some practice I'll be able to get some good shots. Note the word LIBERTY across the forehead and beneath the olive branch. I couldn't see it with the naked eye. You just never know what you're gonna dig out there! TreasureFiend resized the cleaned coin photos and they are attached below. Thanks TreasureFiend!

Y'all take care. Enjoy the hunt!

Curt

Attachments

• IMG_3251.JPG
    IMG_3251.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 781
Upvote 0
Great job!!! :icon_pirat:

I resized the pix for you to make it easier to view.

Attachments

• DSCN3534.JPG
    DSCN3534.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 560
  • DSCN3538.JPG
    DSCN3538.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 559
Sweet Barber :icon_sunny:

1st pic right: Are those artillery friction primers?

Beautiful coin in great condition. Your camera takes great pictures forus to view. Thanks :thumbsup:

Re: TreasureFiend & Ironspike...

Thanks TreasureFiend for resizing the photos for me. (By the way, I've watched your videos on the tube and enjoy them!) If I go back to my original post, will it allow me to delete the photos in my post but save yours as they are?

Ironspike...As for artillery primes in the first photo on the right side, I don't have a clue what they are. I found 6 or them and haven't the foggiest of what they are.

Thanks guys! Lets go md'ing!

Curt

Congrats on your first Barber Dime............It's a beautygoodjob.gif

Attachments

• goodjob.gif
    goodjob.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 437
Hey Curt take a shot of the primers with that new camera of yours , resize and post on whatsit, and let me hold that dime! he he he

Re: TreasureFiend & Ironspike...

KingsMtnMan said:
If I go back to my original post, will it allow me to delete the photos in my post but save yours as they are?

You can, but here is how. Right click on his pics and click on save as and name it anything save it to your desktop.
Go back to your original post and in the upper right click modify. Your post will open up and you can scroll down and look for ATTACHED: on the bottom left. You can "uncheck" the boxes of your original pics. Then click browse and attach the new pics that were re-sized.sign_goodluck.gif OH don't forget to click save at the very bottom
when you're done.

Attachments

• sign_goodluck.gif
    sign_goodluck.gif
    921 bytes · Views: 421
Re: They are artillery primers, but I'm told they are "reenactment" primers

Go figure...I find cannon primers and they're not not that old. I called my friend and he did tell me that there was a reenactment held on the property back in the 90's.
Oh well.

HH
Curt

I take all my pix outdoors under the sun and they always turn out great.
Nice dime hunting 46 acres will take a long time you will find some great finds I am sure of it.

Burnt Chimney said:
Hey Curt take a shot of the primers with that new camera of yours , resize and post on whatsit, and let me hold that dime! he he he

Don't think he'll fall for that one again LOL!

Way to go Curt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back