Went out for a few hours today...

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Truth and I went out to a permission today for a few hours and all I found other than modern lead bullets I was able to save this one. Not sure what it is, it looks like it's been wormed or rammed really hard. Any information on what it could be would greatly be appreciated... TIA

20210406_143922.jpg 20210406_143942.jpg 20210406_143949.jpg 20210406_184700.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 8
OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any Ideas as to what type bullet it is, Enfield, Sharps, etc ???

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a wild guess but from the looks of the extra force placed on the bullet by the ramrod, might that have been a round bullet forced down a Whitworth barrel? What looks like rifling appears odd and one of the pix almost gives the bullet a 6 sided shape. The bullet does not look like a Whitworth bullet tho?!?

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m clear out of the bullet Iding.....
The nipple on the pointy end is from starting and/or the ram rod?
I would have guessed that was part of mold.

On a side note, who packs the best lunch? Creole shrimp today, gumbo tomorrow. I want on the mailing list a couple days a week, it all sounds good to me...

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find Congratulations

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOT AN EXPERT...

But having seen Whitworth projectiles, it does have a few markers, mainly the side dressing and apparent hex bracketing visible on the anterior (top)

Also might be a hybrid type of shot, regular enfield with what amounts to a portion of "buck and ball" addition. Finding out the weight and dimensions will be critical to ID.

Whatever it is, it is a WOW find. Nicely done, sir!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a Whitworth slug. The OP's is not a Whitworth. I can definitely see the impression of lands and grooves (high and low areas) on the slug. Gary

whitworth rifle slug 2.jpg

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When he showed it to me I knew it was a ramrod and I did see some grooves which I was assuming was a jammed three ringer and then I kept looking at it and I was perplexed because I’ve never seen one with those grooves either. When he showed it to me I wanted grab it and run, but thank God it was just in my head that would’ve been hard to explain. Never seen one quite like it. Is it a Confederate bullet or a Yankee bullet?

All jokes aside we worked what we had to work with and I’m telling you being from a flat land Louisiana boy to these high peaks and valleys on this property it was crazy I’m feeling it right now in my legs. I was joking with Possum but it rang true I was Metal Detecting what felt like 20% of the time and 80% of it was survival. Lol We were on the very outskirts of something great we just have to wait for that Mississippi river to go down because nothing tells that River what to do.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread