Went to a demolition auction.

Brian B

Mar 22, 2011
Posted this on the scrap metal forum too, but since it was an auction I figured I would throw it up here. :wink:

Was the office building of a trucking company. Three story building that had an addition put on the back that basically doubled the length. Also had a truck garage behind it that was attached to the building by a long roof. Building was in an area with high taxes, no one was interested in buying it because of that. So the owner decided to knock it down. Got there a 1/2 hour after the start, but was a small crowd. I ended up getting all the plumbing and wiring in the entire building for $130. Did get enough tubing from the basement to pay what I paid for it. Also got two electrical services full of breakers for $30 and $50. Kinda sad whole, rooms with oak trim and Anderson windows were going for $5-10. Now just to get it out. Too bad copper dropped. Looks like I'll be sitting on it for awhile.

Not sure what these are like in your areas, but you may want to look into them. I could've gotten the whole house for probably between $800-1000. They went from top to bottom, and forgot the third floor window, sold them all for one pop, $10. Never priced used window, but I imagine Anderson's would resale for $40-50, IMO.

Steel doors went for $5. All the trim was oak, but it was stained dark, so that would've taken a particular buyer. Plus I only have till the 22 till get it out, and the copper is already gonna be lot of work.

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
Seems like you have your work cut out for you. I guess you and everyone else who bought stuff will be under each others feet trying to get things dismantled. Hope you make some good money on your buy. It's just a matter of time and copper will be back up - just like gold and silver and gas and everything else. :icon_thumleft:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a building salvage place near us that sells used and new doors and windows. Also sells on consignment. You could Craigslist them as well. Even contact Habitat for Humanity.

good luck-

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
One word of caution...

Get your stuff scrapped as soon as possible. You don't want someone beating you to what you own and scrapping it before you do.

OP
OP
B

Brian B

Mar 22, 2011
This stuff will be secure. But we are trying to get it out of the building as fast as possible, as it's not really secure there. On a side note, they smashed all the windows just for the metal. That made me sick. I will be looking for a consignment place to move stuff like this in the future. Don't have that much storage room myself. I probably could, but just don't want to set on that kind of stuff for any length of time. I do have a few other places doing consignment stuff for me, and I am really enjoying just picking up checks once a week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread