Went to a field that was a Naval Barracks from the 1940.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to the city park and got me the usual clad, A non-corroded 1965 Roosevelt that surprised me because they always come out orange and a presidential dollar. Then I decided to go to the old field that's been hunted out and I found me my first pocket knife. That made my day. Just asking is there anything that I can do to get that rust off or is it not worth the trouble? IMG_2319.JPGIMG_2321.JPGIMG_2322.JPGIMG_2323.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 9
Those dollars are always fun when the pop up! I found a bunch of pocket knives too. Unless it's something special they are all just a crusty piece of junk if you go about cleaning them. It's kinda neat to find them think about how they were lost though. [emoji106]

I have found a couple toasted knives but I found a pocket knife that was very fresh once.
It was just starting to turn orange on the side. Blades were perfect, I still use it today, in fact
I was looking for a go to knife because I don't want to lose my favorite knife. Now my favorite
knife is retired.

For rust I use evaporust. It's safe to use bare hands and does a great job. Here's a couple pics of a gun that was encrusted with rust... after using Evapo-Rust. It gets all the rust out of the pitting.IMG_20160420_211735367.jpgIMG_20160420_211709661.jpg
Sorry couldn't find a before picture of it, but it was orange went I dug it.

For rust I use evaporust. It's safe to use bare hands and does a great job. Here's a couple pics of a gun that was encrusted with rust... after using Evapo-Rust. It gets all the rust out of the pitting.View attachment 1441652View attachment 1441654
Sorry couldn't find a before picture of it, but it was orange went I dug it.

Wow that works good lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found many knives over the years, many of them in fine working order, However, have found a number of knives that were also toasted, the blades being badly rusted. Because of that with nothing to lose, I have soaked them in apple cider vinegar, for at least a few days, then wire brushed the blades to knock off much of the rust, and maybe soak them again, or not. Rinse off really well, and even though the blades are rusted out, often the handles are really nice, makes for interesting show & tell.

Nice find,,
I have found numerous pocket knives that are beyond restoration. They get put in a storage drawer and that's it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back