West Texas Hunting

4girlsinfl

Greenie
Mar 14, 2006
If you are looking for areas to MDing, don't know since live in Dallas. If searching for fun/serious- for hidden treasures, a good book out of many available is by Carlos Savoy. Tx specific treasures. I plan on going to W.TX later in the year when the temp. gets cooler to look around and have a good time outdoors.

If you are in the Odessa area, not sure but there are several sites. The Palo Duro Canyon treasure, the treasure of ?Bonham hills area, The Salt Fork Brazos treasure etc.. // best luck.

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
Hunting old roads with bridges that were built back in the wpa era are good places and most small bridges and culverts are marked with a year and who built them, when they were built they were time consuming look around the out skirts of these culverts and bridges as workers spent much time here building and look for old trees around these areas where workers could get reliefe from the blistering sun. good luck
Eddy

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
google search texas ghost towns. You will find a couple of great web sites, then do some research. I am in the Dallas area and have been researching east Texas ghost towns and while many are just rural areas now, most are still inhabited although not all, and while it has been to cold to detect, to cold for me anyway, I am doing my research and have been checking them on google earth and there are still some where the complete town is pretty much gone. I have driven to some sites and can't wait for warmer weather. The reason I feel you should check out the ghost towns is because from what I have run across, the real ghost towns or most anyway are in west Texas. I have also gone to the library and researched micro-film of old newspapers to find out where fairs, picnic areas and such were held. A little time consuming but has gotten me some nice finds.

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
Tin Nugget said:
google search texas ghost towns. You will find a couple of great web sites, then do some research. I am in the Dallas area and have been researching east Texas ghost towns and while many are just rural areas now, most are still inhabited although not all, and while it has been to cold to detect, to cold for me anyway, I am doing my research and have been checking them on google earth and there are still some where the complete town is pretty much gone. I have driven to some sites and can't wait for warmer weather. The reason I feel you should check out the ghost towns is because from what I have run across, the real ghost towns or most anyway are in west Texas. I have also gone to the library and researched micro-film of old newspapers to find out where fairs, picnic areas and such were held. A little time consuming but has gotten me some nice finds.
Hello Tim I live in Rockwall and have been detecting for a while. I have been detecting an area around Dekalb in north east Texas, I know a few old parks that have been around for a while there. Let me know if you would like to go hunting sometime,
Eddy

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
raiderred said:
I am new to the West Texas Area. Anyone no of any place that might be good to look. I am thinking, big spring, pecos, midland, odessa.
Judging from your screenname, I'm thinking Tech? In Lubbock? If that's the case, then there's no real need to go traveling around, as there's plenty of great spots right there in Lubbock.

If it's still open, then head out to the Reese Center. Directly across from the main entrance is the old housing area for the base. Unless something's changed, it should be standing wide open, and still have the roads and foundations visible. I've pulled better than 80 silver coins out of this 20 acre or so area.

Another good spot to hit is a park just down 19th St. from Tech. I can't remember the name of the park offhand, but if you hit 19th from Tech, as though you were going to the Depot, make a right onto 11th St. just in front of the Reagor Auto Mall. Head down about 5 blocks and the park will come up on your left hand side. Just make sure you bring a buddy and leave before dark! Also, the old stuff there is going to be deep, but definitely worth the hunt.

Of course, if you're not in Lubbock, then I just wasted a bunch of bandwidth... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread