What about a XLT

waumpuscat

Mar 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if the guy that has it will turn loose of it what would be a good buy? I am new and have been reading a lot and trying to get the biggest bang for my buck on something that is used but not worn out or abused and wondering if the xlt is considered a good unit to get. It would be mostly coins and relics and maybe I would take it to the beach occasionally, what do you experienced folks think of the xlt? Thanks

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a discontinued machine, White's still repairs them/has coils for them and parts, quite a few folks still using them and I've plans of using mine. I just purchased the little snooper DD coil for my XLT and I'm looking forward to using it. I've never had any electrical problems with mine but they screen and electronics box are not water tight so keep it dry in the rain.......63bkpkr

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you can get it for a GOOD price, it is a very good machine.
The only reason I say that is that (as stated above) it is no longer being made, and the coils for it were machine specific due to frequency.
You can interchange the coils on a MXT, M6, DFX and some V3s depending on nulling, but the XLT coils only work for the XLT.
Edit: Sorry, didn't give you a price..

I would say, if you can get it for under 400.00?
That would be for a very good condition machine.
maybe somebody else can chime in here, I HAD one for about a year, but it was a few years ago while they were still being made.

But like I said, it was a very good machine and basically the same as my DFX.
i didn't notice much of a difference.

Last edited:

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
My XLT has alot of problems with mineralization here in nor cal. So bad many places it just wont work. I end up carying a goldmaster and about 1/2 the time i have to toss the XLT in the trunk. If you cant count on your machine its worthless. I wouldnt buy one with all the newer DD machines out there. I had to have my coil replaced but still just cant handle the soil/

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My XLT has alot of problems with mineralization here in nor cal. So bad many places it just wont work.
You beat me to it.
I just remembered that I HAVE heard that a lot.
I never experienced it first hand, because I used it on very neutral ground in MI and Ohio, but I have seen a lot of that posted here and other places.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Offer 300.00 for it.
If you don't have anything now, I would say that it trumps an entry level machine by a lot of other makers.
Just go in knowing that different search coils are going to be more expensive and that of you have highly mineralized or hot ground, you may run into problems.
But when it comes right down to it, that stock 950 coil will serve you well in about 80-90% of the time.

I have five coils for my DFX and MXT and I still find myself using that 950 stock about 90 of the time.

OP
OP
W

waumpuscat

Mar 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very much appreciated you guys! This is just the type of information that I needed

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wc, along with all the above inputs the coils for the XLT can be purchased for about $60 IF a White's Detector owner submits stories with pictures to White's for their customer stories site. Again IF White's chooses to use your story/pictures they will offer you a $100 Accessories Certificate for your permission to use your story. And with that certificate I've purchased at least three coils for my White's machines including two for the XLT.

I'm in NorCal and In Town I've not had the mineralization problem but in towns close to mountains I could see this being a problem.....................63bkpkr

ICON

Dec 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've had my o'le XLT. for over 20 years , now i see on EBAY there is 3 SUNRAY'S target probe INVADER XL-1, MADE FOR XLT FOR $ 175 BUCKS . i was wondering if anyone out there has used one ,an if there any good. compared to garret,minelab.ect. i like the fact that it fit's machine !!

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My XLT has alot of problems with mineralization here in nor cal. So bad many places it just wont work. I end up carying a goldmaster and about 1/2 the time i have to toss the XLT in the trunk. If you cant count on your machine its worthless. I wouldnt buy one with all the newer DD machines out there. I had to have my coil replaced but still just cant handle the soil/

Did you try it with a smaller coil? My XLT was a pain to use with the 950 in Oregon soils. As soon as I switched to the Bullseye and the Royal 800, my depth, stability and finds increased. I think with many detectors, if you are hunting in very mineralized soil, a smaller coil benefits the machine's performance.

shadowcat1971

May 5, 2012
Northern MN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT E series with sunray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a sun ray probe for my xlt this summer, I didn't like it at first, but I got used to it after a while. I have a bullseye pinpointed also, but it is nice to have the unit right on the detector. Now I really like it and it works well!

ICON

Dec 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank's shadowcat.. I think i'll try it. did using the SUN RAY atached to your XLT. drain your XLT'S battery (s).

shadowcat1971

May 5, 2012
Northern MN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT E series with sunray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not at all, alls u do is switch it from coil to probe, and visa versa, uses the same juice regardless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread