What about the rest?

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen on this forum and a few others that some money can be made by recycling computers for the precious metals in the circuit boards. Does anyone bother with the copper wire or the metal framework? If you have a little space for storage is it worth breaking down the cases and recycling them as I do aluminum, brass and copper? And for those that do copper has anyone tried one of the lower end 2-300$ wire strippers that operate with a drill?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SnakemanBill said:
made by recycling computers for the precious metals in the circuit boards. Does anyone bother with.... the metal framework?
I do a small amount of computers. sometimes 1 a week sometimes 5.
When I first started scrapping I brought in the cases and got paid for steel. The 2nd time they refused them.

Now all cases get recycled in the dumpster out back (in the middle of the night) ;D Some times I see Jose and Poncho pulling out metal from the dumpsters early in the morning. Guess they have a buyer. :icon_thumleft:

bjybjy

Greenie
May 13, 2011
Every yard I've been to takes the cases without a second thought. I average about $2.50 per computer for just the 'unvaluable guts'... steel case, wires, junk parts of CD drives, etc. Definately worth saving in my opinion. I just have a regular car and I can fit 20-30 computer cases in it when it is time to run to the scrapyard. Each load only brings in about $75, but its free money, only takes about two hours from start to finish and not a lot of work.

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
Ever part of the computer is worth something. We recycle everything. Nothing goes to the dump. We recycle over 1000 pounds of computer scrap a week so anything we throw away is money lost. Talk to your yard about computer scrap and find out what they buy and what they pay. Just because one yard won't buy them doesn't mean the next yard won't either. Like I have always told you guys, always shop your scrap around. Never get too cozy with just one yard. Always check prices with other yards before you sell.

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
yes, I talked to a man and women who are in foreclosure and no jobs and they had a system in their garage where they were busiting these computers monitors and tv dowens and had a 5 gallon bucket full of the copper wires, thin but it was all they had. They cruise the roads looking for this that people put to the curb. 2 houses later I had found t old tv`s and 3 old monitors in the high grass of a foreclosed home so I took it back to them and they were thankfull for that. they took the thick flat strip of copper from the the tv and even the little bloack spools off the circuit boards and unwound the copper, I believe a band of copper goes around the tube of the monitors too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread