What are the Beach Detecting Laws in Florida?

aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Daytona a month ago and detected their with no problem. Don't know what part of Fla. you are going to.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome to Tnet. :hello:

Been awhile since I've been there but most locals have their own rules. I mainly just went out and hunter the sand at the shores. If you are wanting to detect inland at the parks, these places change the laws and policies all the time. Just stay away from National Seashores.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida beaches are public owned but stay away from anything that is National as in National Park or Seashore, any state park that is on the coast you will need permission from ranger to hunt. All state parks that are not on the coast are off limits.

There are maybe 2 beaches that that I am aware of that the city does not allow you to hunt, but they are not in the best part of town and your better off not hunting there anyway and they have signs....

Also unless you are native born to the state of Florida, you need a permit to hunt, Send $500 to "Treasure Hunter's Retirement Fund" and I will print , errr send you the permit..... :tongue3: :laughing7:

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay away from the sea oats ,turtle nests ,and bird nesting areas.In front of private homes only to the high tide line.other then that your good .

Good luck and welcome
Jonnie

OP
OP
aurumdigga

aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the advice folks. I was thinking about making a trip from N. Georgia area to Panama City next month. I was only going to detect for two days and then head home. I didn't want to do something that might get me in trouble with the Law.

I have a Minelab Sovereign that goes really deep with the 12 inch coil. I have had it for about ten years.

I have never seen a person metal detecting that used a shovel on a Florida beach. I was just worried that digging too deep might piss the law off.

Thanks for the Welcome everyone,
Steven

andre

Jun 17, 2007
I have a old Minelab sovereign elite. Would you please show me your settings to use for the beach. I have found coins but NO jewelry?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andre this thread is 4 years old..

No discrimination at all and you have to get your coil over jewelry to find jewelry...

pirate jim

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2016
Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrg, I just had sea oats for breakfast. Now what's gonna happen??

pirate jim

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh...
New law just got passed btw...

No one can metal detect Florida's beaches but me.

I am grandfathered in. :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread