What's new

What are these? Found near ww2 traing camp

Christian801

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jan 24, 2021
Messages
3
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Garrett at max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these while metal detecting near a ww2 training camp. I have no idea what they are. I found parts to a ww2 gas mask about 4 ft away from where these were located. Anyone know??
 

Attachments

  • 11365.webp
    11365.webp
    163.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 11366.webp
    11366.webp
    115 KB · Views: 117
They are the bottoms of canteen holders, it is how hot food was served to the troops.
 
Upvote 0
I looked it up but haven't found anything on canteen holders. Any chance you have a pictures of one for cross reference? Thanks
 
Upvote 0
I looked it up but haven't found anything on canteen holders. Any chance you have a pictures of one for cross reference? Thanks
I cannot locate a photo, I just remember similar ones when I was in the Navy
 
Upvote 0
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.
 
Upvote 0
Pretty heavy duty for mess gear. And that hole in the center could be problematic with liquids...

They look like 'feet' to keep the legs or posts of something from sinking into the ground. My first thought was "mortar base plate" but I couldn't find a match.
 
Upvote 0
How big are they?
I'm with DC, they look like bases to a stand of some sort.
Remind me of cocktail table bases.
 
Upvote 0
Pretty heavy duty for mess gear. And that hole in the center could be problematic with liquids...

They look like 'feet' to keep the legs or posts of something from sinking into the ground. My first thought was "mortar base plate" but I couldn't find a match.

I was thinking the same thing, mortar base plate or the base to a shipping/storage container for artillery shells......But I'm not having any luck finding anything to support those.

Also the ridge would cause canteen cups to tilt and spill, not very smart ideal, and most mess stuff I've seen is stainless steel, if my memory isn't totally gone....

Looked myself blind last night (Couldn't sleep) looking for any type of base plate, leveling plate etc, and kept coming up blank.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
my guess is cast iron base weights used on lamps or fans.
 
Upvote 0
Found this image of a WWII 105mm "Cloverleaf" howitzer shell shipping container. They were marked something like: "105MM, CONTAINER, HOW M2,105 MM M39A1"


unnamed.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow that's it. I've been searching like crazy. Thanks everyone!!!!
 
Upvote 0
Bingo, knew it was associated with artillery shells, it's part of a Clover Leaf Bundle.....

Just saw that Charlie P solved it, I just found a the same site he did, and went to post.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found these while metal detecting near a ww2 training camp. I have no idea what they are. I found parts to a ww2 gas mask about 4 ft away from where these were located. Anyone know??

If me I would keep them, clean one or two up for my militaria collection, and sell the rest to militaria collectors.

Then again my mom, and then my wife always says I am lacking in the common sense departmemt.
 
Upvote 0
Reminds me of the lid to packing material for artillery shells.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom