What are these please?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
These were just inherited by a friend of mine, ant they originally belonged to his great grandfather.
We are trying to decide if they are game pieces of some sort, or just a collection of interesting geometric shapes.
We would also like to know what kind of stone they are cut from. I have taken a high resolution scan of the circular piece which shows some very interesting characteristics.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• geo1.jpg
    geo1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 107
  • geo2.jpg
    geo2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 112
  • geo3.jpg
    geo3.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 115
  • geo4.jpg
    geo4.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 114

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Creskol, these carved stones are really cool! I don't know what they are, but game pieces and 'good luck' stones comes to mind. The only thing I can add is: There are basically 6 stones used for carving: granite, marble, soapstone, sandstone, limestone, and alabaster. Of course that list is not conclusive, but basic. :) Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Creskol, these carved stones are really cool! I don't know what they are, but game pieces and 'good luck' stones comes to mind. The only thing I can add is: There are basically 6 stones used for carving: granite, marble, soapstone, sandstone, limestone, and alabaster. :) Breezie

Thanks Breezie .. Hope all has been well in your neck of the woods. Good to see you pop in every so often. Hope the Christmas Season is treating you well so far, and hope you have a Merry Christmas! Best wishes for the New Year as well!

Upvote 0

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crescol, they look like tumbling media for knocking sharp edges off of machined metal parts.

Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It hard to say why these stones were faceted the way they are or what they were used for, I don't think they were used for tumbling media, there are better materials than stone for that purpose, IMHO.

It may have to do with something spiritual or cosmic in nature, such as stated on the following gemstone website, or just someone using a faceting machine on some interesting material.

I don't have a clue as to what type of stones they are but I will do some more searching to see if I can find what type it could be.

THE BEST OF BRAZIL CRYSTALS - Sacred Geometric Crystal Shapes- Highest Quality Octohedrons, Tetrahedrons, Dodecohedrons,Hexahedron , Icosahedron -Quartz , Rose Quartz , Smoky Quartz, Amethyst.

Sacred Geometry sets are created from the five known Platonic Solids. Every physical manifestation in the
known Universe is built from one of these basic building blocks. The designs of exalted holy places from the prehistoric
monuments at Stonehenge and the Pyramid of Khufu at Giza, to the world's great cathedrals, mosques, and temples
are based on these same principles of sacred geometry.

SACREDGEOMEETRY

As far back as Greek Mystery schools 2500 years ago it was taught that there are five perfect 3-dimensional forms - the
tetrahedron, hexahedron, octahedron, dodecahedron, and icosahedron...collectively known as the Platonic Solids; and
that these form the foundation of everything in the physical world.

Plato defined the Platonic Solids over 2300 years ago (427-347BC). Platonic Solids are all of the three-dimensional
solid shapes that you can create using faces that are identical regular polygons. These Platonic Solid shapes are also
known as three-dimensional polytopes.

Modern scholars ridiculed this idea until the 1980's, when Professor Robert Moon at the University of Chicago
demonstrated that the entire Periodic Table of Elements - literally everything in the physical world - truly is based on
these same five geometric forms. In fact, throughout modern physics, chemistry, and biology, the sacred geometric
patterns of creation are today being rediscovered.

The ancients knew that these patterns were codes symbolic of our own inner realm and that the experience of sacred
geometry was essential to the education of the soul. Viewing and contemplating these forms can allow us to gaze
directly at the face of deep wisdom and glimpse the inner workings of The Universal Mind.

platonicsetillustration.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that's cool, AU Seeker .. Sounds like a very plausible possibility! Thanks very much!

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Breezie .. Hope all has been well in your neck of the woods. Good to see you pop in every so often. Hope the Christmas Season is treating you well so far, and hope you have a Merry Christmas! Best wishes for the New Year as well!

Thanks Creskol! Yes, everything here is fine as frog hairs. Hopefully I'll be here on TNet more regularly now. When the software changed, it took some time for me to get use to it, plus I had work issues to tend to at the same time.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you too, and I hope you have a blessed and prosperous New Year!

I think AU Seeker posted some pertinent information. In my original post, I mentioned 'good luck' stones. Years ago, I saw a so called Fortune Teller at a local fair use stones to tell fortunes and some were shaped like these.

:) Breezie

Upvote 0

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breezie, not too long ago Gone With The Wind was on cable tv. I don't want to tell you the bad news, but, maybe next time.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Breezie, not too long ago Gone With The Wind was on cable tv. I don't want to tell you the bad news, but, maybe next time.

:laughing7: Tim, I know. I don't care how many times I put that movie in the DVD player, the ending is still the same! Breezie

Upvote 0

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
I think the material is fossilised wood or plant material of some kind, stem sections that is...

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the material is fossilised wood or plant material of some kind, stem sections that is...

Brilliant deduction Yaxthri! :icon_thumright: Here's a pic of a cross section of a fossilized plant stem. Breezie

StemFossil.jpg

Upvote 0

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one on the left is a Petosky stone, I found many on the shores of Lake Michigan. The other I've never seen before. TimC

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread