What are these rocks?

Medicinemanj

Greenie
Dec 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So unless it worked the first 4 times I tried, this is my first post on here. I’m not good with geology, but I’ve found a lot of Native American artifacts. These two were found in close proximity. You may not can tell, but the rock in the first four pics has been flaked (given the high impact ripples) and also ground several places...mainly around the edges. You may can see the shiny areas. It feels heavy for its size. The second rock has layers chipped off on one corner (possibly by accident) and seems to have ground down to form this triangular shape. Hopefully this gets posted successfully. I watched a tutorial but any additional advice will be appreciated. I’ll have a lot more to come in the future if all goes smooth 79EC26A1-1DEE-4009-ADB3-62821B3F64A5.jpeg538297D6-B6B9-4862-894C-208E671011C1.jpeg9ADFF0F8-3262-4C00-BF9C-F8CEB9ADEB3A.jpeg5F10FAD7-A41A-4E9F-87F7-ED4B54C52A3A.jpegBA7B1A43-A6DF-4DC7-9DD9-CE469ADC1787.jpeg4FB2BE2F-0BE3-4B07-86A1-C03E1931A375.jpeg45054974-82C3-4FF4-885D-3C615F6A3D07.jpegF16F7FD4-2C03-47AC-9F08-577DDB78D581.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
It's a big world ... covered in rocks.
Were you standing anywhere near Texas or Louisiana when you found that larger piece ?

Upvote 0
But, given that they have been worked, say hundreds possibly thousands of years ago, they may have originated elsewhere...theoretically

Upvote 0
Pretty sure you have a piece of petrified palm wood.
The Indians in your area were very familiar with it, it's a very useful material for making tools.

Edit to add: I'm not seeing any sign of either stone being worked in these pictures.
If that is palm wood, it is showing a multi million year old patina (crust) with a tiny chip which exposes the interior as that beautiful, speckled, glossy material.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you saying both pieces are petrified palm wood? I am going to have to disagree. From what I have seen of palm wood in the area, it is not remotely similar. You may not can see the flat ground surfaces that exist in certain areas (of the larger piece) and also the impact fractures that perpituate in a ripple like form (as a stone does as it hits water), but I in fact can. I have practiced flint knapping and natural stone grinding for the last 5 years in order to be able to differentiate between a worked piece of flint and a non worked piece (along with those that have been ground in areas- such as the base) and it has helped me as I’ve collected a large number of nice arrowheads the last 8 years or so. I just took a couple more pictures of it and admittantly, you cannot see either lapidary technique, but I will still upload another anyways. I’ll also upload another close up of the second triangular piece. First and formemost, I do not think they are both palmwood like i assume you are saying. Secondly, there are only completely circular dots in the larger piece (and no palmwood-like stripes even in the triangle piece). As far as I know we haven’t even addressed the second triangle rock lol. I understand that palmwood can appear circular in transverse segments but the large piece has circular dots all the way around on every edge. I will also upload a picture of a palm wood arrowhead that was found close to where this was found for reference. I did not find the arrowhead and do not have ownership rights to the palmwood arrowhead picture. I understand that petrified palmeood was useful, but that doesn’t necessarily make either one of them palmwood. You may know more than I do though. At any rate, if as many users as possible could comment their opinion of both pieces and use the palm wood point as merely a reference, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks 46556D6A-3C93-43DD-9E40-AA73500DB325.jpeg512168DB-D359-41CC-8924-D88BB7A96643.jpegDB1F6747-AC3B-4F7B-AB99-EE98C66944BA.jpeg2C7C667A-9D73-4F5E-9FE6-DB38BFA15D27.jpeg

Attachments

• B3F601BC-4717-4697-B8CA-A67437750E52.jpeg
    B3F601BC-4717-4697-B8CA-A67437750E52.jpeg
    733.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 2A78EBC1-7047-4C40-A527-C392F552BE7D.jpeg
    2A78EBC1-7047-4C40-A527-C392F552BE7D.jpeg
    865 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0
As you may or may not can see, they are completely circular dots at any angle you view it and not elongated In a cross section view as I’ve seen with palmwood. And the second rock may be petrified wood, but it would be a wood that grew concentrically. Would you agree?

Upvote 0
Except for the angle 90 degrees of this view since it would likely look almost the same as this

Upvote 0
They look like pieces of some kind of sedimentary rock to me. I would say they are not artifacts by the hand of man.

Upvote 0
Sorry my message before my last doesn’t look like it posted, but I was asking if you could upload a few more angles of this except for the angle 90 degrees of this view. Those circles may not look circular from every angle

Upvote 0
It’s possible it’s not but since it was found in a campsite with projectile points and other artifacts above and below it and around it, and the wear on it, it lead me to believe it was. But, all I want to know is the material- anything else is a non issue. I believe it could be sedimentary as well

Upvote 0
Tamrock, were you referring to the larger or smaller rock when you said it looked sedimentary? If you were referring to the smaller piece, have a look at this rock that I’ve attached. It has some similarities and was also found at a campsite.3E1CDFFD-AB56-4698-A440-E873E45C57A4.jpegA0928F1D-07AE-4A05-9B64-0F77753B1924.jpeg

Upvote 0
Here is the advice you requested: they are all naturally formed rocks, not artifacts.

Upvote 0
Those are genuine, and unequivocally, natural rocks that are not artifacts of any kind.

Upvote 0
I figured that much before before getting on here. May have had my doubts but but that’s irrelevant. I only mentioned where they were found to possibly get a non contradicting identification on the material. which hasn’t happened yet. One proposed palmwood on the material and one guy said it was sedimentary rock. Is me asking to type both of these rocks and get an answer that’s not completely different an unreasonable request to make with pictures alone? I should clarify, does anybody know what a geologist would call these two materials?

Upvote 0
This is my first post on here. These have not and will not under any circumstance be thrown in with any artifact of mine. They are with my other natural rocks that are a)rare or b) so uncommon that I do not know the material or how they were formed. I definitely made a lot of people confused by saying where they were found and the possibilities of why you can see the rock more in depth. Does anybody have a forum name on here that is strictly a geology based discussion? I have another site I use for artifacts. Which is why I didn’t post them there and have looked elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Maybe this isn’t necessarily even the right site to be looking on but If theees a geologist who can give me a second opinion that matches either sedimentary rock or palmwood, I’ll get what I came for and throw the sedimentary triangular back outside if its sedimentary. I don’t agree that the triangular one is palmwood- potentially petrified wood which is why I picked it up. If the larger one is just sedimentary I will throw it back outside as well and keep it if somebody else thinks it’s palm wood because I don’t have a ton of palmwood already

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back