What are your experiences trying to CRH at Antiques Shops?

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an antique town in TX called Gruene and went to one to the antiques stores.

I was trying to look for some silver bargains. Of course they had silver coins but men, no bargains at all just over prices silver coins (half's, Morgans, dimes-mercs). I guess this guys know what they are doing.

Example they had a 2004 S Kenn Silver Proof halve impaired for $18.95. Why buying it for that price when I can get a PCGS PF 69 for about $15.95 from a dealer.

I was thinking that maybe an antique store was like a garage sale but not. All was overpriced.

I was temped to buy stuff but I remembered I am a CRhunter and why paying more than face for the same crap.

What are your experiences with antique coins. Any bargains???

I would like to hear from you all

thanks

Darth Walker

Upvote 0

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
I learned antique shops know what they are doing, they are in business for a reason... garage sales are totally different and do not have knowledge

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antique store near me had a dish full of wheaties. Nothing rare. I asked how much to buy them all. They couldn't discount the amount. Get this. They wanted $1.00 a piece. I told them they were only worth 2-3 cents tops. They're reply was they couldn't sell them for any less because they were wheaties. I told them good luck with that and left. To each his own.
HH
enamel7

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
d2arcing said:
I learned antique shops know what they are doing, they are in business for a reason... garage sales are totally different and do not have knowledge

I plan on hitting garage sales hard this spring. Going to look for anything AG/AU scrap or coins I can find. Figure I should be able to score at least some silver.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Antique shops and auctions are very poor for me. I went to a coin auction a few weeks ago where i was told "there is no reserve prices". Thinking it might be good with tons of morgans and other silver coins way out in the boonies and no reserve. Well i got one pulled over on me of course. On typical peace dollars in average shape the "house number" bought every coin that didnt bring 20$. Basically a hidden reserve.

But on a good note. People were buying Walkers there for 10$ a piece. I only saw 4 walkers bring 8$ each, all others were 10 to 20$ with the majority going for 10$. Plain jane walkers 10 bucks not bad.

OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will not pay mor ethan $5.00 for a walker

DW

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some estate sales are outrageous in price also.

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Up in the Tokyo area, someone was selling pennies for 10 yen (about 10 cents) each. There were no wheaties, or key-dates for that matter.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Prices are way overboard at auctions, antique shops, and even garage sales, because people think any coin older than 1970 is worth a fortune. They don't bother to research prices. When I offer 10-12 times face on junk silver purchases, people balk, thinking their Roosevelt silver dime's "gotta be worth at least 5 bucks". It's crazy. ffd

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Being somewhat new to CRHin this is my type of post .A post where i can learn more of how CRHin works and where.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JJtheRollHunter said:
Darth Walker said:

DW

I will not pay more than $0.50 for a Walker. ;D

You THINK you are only paying $0.50 for a walker. But after counting all the time and gas you spend you could be paying way more than retail price for them. :wink:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
mts said:
JJtheRollHunter said:
Darth Walker said:

DW

You THINK you are only paying $0.50 for a walker. But after counting all the time and gas you spend you could be paying way more than retail price for them. :wink:
Got that right! I just paid 10 X face for a roll of walkers and Bens, cheaper for me at that price than the time and gas, not as fun, of course.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fistfulladirt said:
mts said:
JJtheRollHunter said:
Darth Walker said:

DW

Got that right! I just paid 10 X face for a roll of walkers and Bens, cheaper for me at that price than the time and gas, not as fun, of course.

Where did you find walkers and bens for 10X face? Inquiring minds want to know...

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009
coincrazed said:
Coins4Cheese said:
Up in the Tokyo area, someone was selling pennies for 10 yen (about 10 cents) each. There were no wheaties, or key-dates for that matter.
Wait...Hold it. How are you coin roll hunting U.S. coins in japan? - crazed

C4C is on a U.S. millitary base in Japan.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Today I had an appointment to meet a nice older couple, first talked to them when I had a service call at their home to fix their internet trouble. "Somehow" the subject of coins came up and the mr. mentioned he might have some for sale sometime in the future. Six months later they called me. They had alot of spendable clad that I first weeded out.
I ended up buying a mix (20) of Bens and walkers at 10 X face. I also purchased 1 morgan and 6 peace dollars @ $13 ea. Six 40% halves @ $1 ea. Now, I'm not into wheat cents, but I offered 5 cents ea. for 17 steel cents, and bought 4 rolls of wheats @ $1.50 per roll. They also threw in a v-nick, (1905), canadian large cent (1920), and an 1883 indian (g), for free. Not a bad deal, I think they went to a local dealer first for a quote, so I think we both made out. ffd

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009
Fistfulladirt said:
Today I had an appointment to meet a nice older couple, first talked to them when I had a service call at their home to fix their internet trouble. "Somehow" the subject of coins came up and the mr. mentioned he might have some for sale sometime in the future. Six months later they called me. They had alot of spendable clad that I first weeded out.
I ended up buying a mix (20) of Bens and walkers at 10 X face. I also purchased 1 morgan and 6 peace dollars @ $13 ea. Six 40% halves @ $1 ea. Now, I'm not into wheat cents, but I offered 5 cents ea. for 17 steel cents, and bought 4 rolls of wheats @ $1.50 per roll. They also threw in a v-nick, (1905), canadian large cent (1920), and an 1883 indian (g), for free. Not a bad deal, I think they went to a local dealer first for a quote, so I think we both made out. ffd

Sounds like you did well! :icon_thumright:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JJtheRollHunter said:
Fistfulladirt said:

Sounds like you did well! :icon_thumright:

I agree! Thanks for clarifying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread