What can I expect to find on the first "highway" in a town?

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
According to the history of this town, in the early 1700's the first "highway" was constructed going across a few towns. I ended up being able to find a few completely abandoned sections of this road throughout one town. There is parking in at least two of the spots. One spot looks to be wider and rockier, and still probably possible to drive on. Another spot is very wild looking, the edges are filled with weeds and small plants. I was able to see the entrance of each trail on street view. I prefer to go to the more wild road, which looks to be less contaminated with modern stuff. There was a school house and other structures at the end of the road (which are not able to be metal detected, still standing and lived in). Does this sound like it was be a good place to metal detect, and what could I expect to find there.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The rockier wider road also has another abandoned road attached to it though, which looks like the second road that I mentioned.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The rockier wider road also has another abandoned road attached to it though, which looks like the second road that I mentioned.

There was also a house along wide road, which can can be seen from Google Earth as a field with big tire tracks and ruins in it. I haven't overlayed the old map yet though, so I am not sure if I am looking at the same thing.

Edit: I overlayed it, and it matches up fine.

I also was able to find another abandoned paved road, or what is left of the pavement.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would not bother hunting roads, simply because they are old. Would spend my time at places where the travelers STOPPED. Like at stage stops, or where homes or camp spots were, etc....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread