What could this be ?

tileys

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2006
Hi all,

I'm new here; I found the forum and thought it just the place to get some idea on 3 objects I have that I don't have much of an idea on.

First, a bit of background...My Dad is (or rather was sadly) the 'treasure hunter' - he had a long history of metal detecting, first with a detector he put together himself and then with a Garrett which I think he was pretty taken with. He did a lot of beachcombing on holidays and when I was younger also detected on a few fields near my hometown in rural Northamptonshire in England.

I'm not sure where this object was found to be honest but it was in with a collection of roman and english coins. I got it out for a look recently due a resurgence in interest in archaeology after watching a few excellent episodes of "Time Team". :)

It is hollow, almost an inch from tip to base and it seems to have something small inside which tinkles slightly like a bell you might put around a cats neck. It looks to have perhaps a gilt finish and is quite light. The construction is quite clever and consists of 4 'petals' folded in to form the point of the teardrop shape you can see in the photo i.e. it is all one piece of metal as far as I can see. There is a small diamond shaped hole at the junction of each 'petal' edge which perhaps gives a means of hanging it on a chain or from an ear ? - don't want to put ideas into your head though.

I'd like to hear what you all think - I've had to restrain myself from prising it open to look inside...

Please also see my two other posts...I know, a little greedy for a newbie...

Hope you all have a great weekend.

cheers,

Steve

Attachments

• whatisit1.jpg
    whatisit1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 851

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I'm no authority on such things, I think a bell is exactly what it is. I don't think it is Roman, but it certainly looks old.

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Weird but interesting item. The main design on the surface is known as "Greek Key" I believe and has been around for a very long time.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aguila said:
Could it be an acorn trap for a squirrel? Sorry....flashbacks
:D seriously it might have came from a tassel....off of a hat

Upvote 0

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Greetings Steve,
Do you know where this was found? It looks very much like a Norman hawk bell, which would have been attached to the leg of a hawk, falcon or other bird of prey trained to hunt for his owner. I could not find a photo online of a Norman hawk bell but here is a Native American Indian hawk bell on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hawk-Bell-Heavy-Small-Native-American-Decorative-Use_W0QQitemZ7773623471QQcategoryZ60603QQcmdZViewItem

Hawk bells were made shaped like the item you have, in order to not snag easily on anything if the hawk were to hunt in heavy brush etc. I could be way off, just a hunch.
Oroblanco

"We must find a way, or we will make one." --Hannibal Barca

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tileys

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2006
Again Oroblanco, I think you're making sense there...it's something I can check out at least. I'm not sure exactly where it was found (this applies equally to all 3 items I posted about) but my Dad almost exclusively detected around local farmers fields (within 1/2 hour) in rural Northamptonshire (right in the centre of England) - there would be a few important Roman roads passing nearby but not much in the way of settlement. Locally there was what I believe was a bronze-age fort and I know that Northampton itself was a pretty important place until they made shoes for the wrong side during the civil war and the place got effectively demoted...;)

cheers,

Steve

Upvote 0

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Man what I would give to be able to hunt where your Dad went! I am green with envy, both at his finds and his hunting grounds. Cool stuff buddy!
your friend,
Roy - Oroblanco

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tileys

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2006
I've just measured it and it is 7/8" long (2.3cm) and 9/16" (1.5cm) wide at its widest point. I just weighed it but on kitchen scales - it hardly registers but I would guess perhaps 2-3 grams (?) - if you weigh it up and down in your hand you can certainly feel it though - I would guess it would weigh perhaps more than a thin-walled round bell the likes of which I've seen employed in modern day falconry. The 4 holes muddies the issue of fixation (which I'm sure it is for) - what would it be fixed to and how would you use 4 holes - I can see how you may use 2 holes but 4 ?

Thanks guys for having a look...any more ideas I'd be keen to investigate - it's all about weighing up the probabilities I guess.

Cheers,

Steve

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions