What could this Ottoman vase be worth?

HunterLG

May 28, 2023
I inherited this vase from my father. I think it's Ottoman and it seems to be gilded. It's 35 cm high. I don't see anything written on the bottom.

Any thoughts on what it might be worth?

Thank you!
20230528_155425.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would first attempt to date the piece by ID-ing the tughra. The image in the center of the dark circle is called a tughra; a calligraphic monogram of the sultan's signature. There were 36 sultans but I can't associate your piece's tughra with any of the 36 sultan's tughra. Your eyes may be better than mine.
Don in SoCal.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet

It’s going to be tough to put a value to that, except to say it’s not ancient and probably not particularly valuable. It also looks to be in poor condition.

The overall design is based on the Ottoman Empire coat of arms in the version adopted in 1882 under Abdul Hamid II. The Empire was dissolved in 1922, with the Sultanate being abolished on 1st November that year. So that’s your possible date range, but be aware that the imagery continued to be copied for a while after that for reasons of nostalgia.

Ottoman.jpg

As Don says, the tughra doesn’t appear to be for any of the Sultans [better pictures at the Wiki link below] but, as the Empire collapsed, people began using calligraphic tughra representations of their own names… including dignitary, personal and company names. My guess is it's one of those and likely dates from the 1920s or later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sultans_of_the_Ottoman_Empire

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't see the legend in the crescent as reading: المستند بالتوفيقات الربانية ملك الدولة العلية العثمانية. Nor does the tughra exactly represent a specific sultan. But I am open to the notion that both the teghra and the reading within the crescent were intended to imitate the Royal Coat of Arms.
Don in SoCal.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its worth exactly what someone will pay.
That is... more like...
IF someone wants to pay. heh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread