Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm realy Impressed with Minelab

sovereigns & Explorers.

Farm areas (berks)
Probably any detector would be fine Though.

Coal fields, I say definately Multi Frequency Minelab.
But I'm sure others will disagree.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one thing is for sure.

A DD Coil is a Must Have.

there have been Many Many Years of detectorists
swinging Concentric coils over the area.

You wanna find what they missed ,
you Have to cover more Ground Per Swing.

"Double D Coil"

Concentric

A1RMY05CANEB3Q6CATT3IYVCACPQSSECA88PM36CAISBVXTCAT2HBQ3CA1B6U0GCA5XD238CAUEV6XICA1QYYU1CAM4Z1E...jpg

Double D

AHLNICXCA02MFCSCA0DN9FICALSEKDICAMCICH2CAUNHT9GCAKLSND0CAZPVH69CAV6ZC7TCAIXQ297CAQRZH70CAMJUH8...jpg

OP
OP
R

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
Jeff,thanks but like my other post stated budget only allows me to stay within $250-$400 price range so i'd pretty much think Minelabs would be ruled out,not that i wouldn't love to have one just that cash is limited to what i can afford.On another note though some of the places i hunt have lots of iron content that i experienced in the past that's why i was kinda of curious what others have been using for the soil type around here.Rich

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah Yes !

A friend & I were just discussing
the Iron Content in Lebanon County.

My sovereign has Not been Very stable in Lebanons
Iron areas, Like Colmen's & Fredrecksburg's Parks.
Havn't tried the Explorer down there yet.

His Minelab E-trac has been good down there.
which is even more Expensive.

Hopefully someone Can suggest something.

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
within your price range i was gonna suggest a tesoro,but i see you already got a bandido... some people swear by the bandido...i never realy got too much of a chance to try one.... yes the soveriegn gt works quite good in the farm fields....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does Tesero or Off market Manufacturers
Make a DD Coil ?

Perhaps considering what you want to spend,
You should spend it on a Double D coil :wink:

This won't help with the Iron,
but not sure what will.

I have an X-Terra but Havn't tried it yet

OP
OP
R

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Yes i did have a Bandido but that one is long gone now.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whites; Tesoro; Minelab; Fisher; Garrett - ANY of these with MANUAL GROUND BALANCING will work for you. On your budget, I would be looking for a gently used Tesoro Tejón, or Fisher Goldbug II. Good Luck to you! :headbang:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They all work as they say...However I have an Ace250 & you can find many ..How to videos on youtube to help beat the learning curve!

OP
OP
R

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
That's kinda what i was thinking also something with manual ground balance.Was thinking maybe a Cibola but doesn't that one have a pre-set GB? Been looking at Youtube videos quite alot lately on different brands and doing alot of research on here and also alot of comparison searches,looked at Tecknetics G2 and the Fisher GoldBug Pro and these to seem to be identical but the price difference is about $100 less on the Goldbug Pro.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
richbat said:
Jeff,thanks but like my other post stated budget only allows me to stay within $250-$400 price range so i'd pretty much think Minelabs would be ruled out,not that i wouldn't love to have one just that cash is limited to what i can afford.On another note though some of the places i hunt have lots of iron content that i experienced in the past that's why i was kinda of curious what others have been using for the soil type around here.Rich
We have some lightly used machines available if you are interested.
We would be happy to help you get into something

OP
OP
R

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Woodland.got your PM,I'll keep that in my mind.Rich

chris725

Greenie
Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
richbat said:
That's kinda what i was thinking also something with manual ground balance.Was thinking maybe a Cibola but doesn't that one have a pre-set GB? Been looking at Youtube videos quite alot lately on different brands and doing alot of research on here and also alot of comparison searches,looked at Tecknetics G2 and the Fisher GoldBug Pro and these to seem to be identical but the price difference is about $100 less on the Goldbug Pro.

Just to throw my 2 cents in... I'm just south in Western MD and am looking for the same type of Metal detector, and i'm in the same price range. I'm pretty sure I may go with the Fisher F4. It has DD coil, VDI, and manual ground balance for $399. Reviews all look good. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
R

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
It's kinda funny how just 1 extra feature on a detector makes the price difference go up,then you see another one your interested in and it has that feature and the price is lower.The F4 does look nice and is also one i'm looking at to among a few others not to mention,decisions,decisions.lol

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff, now everyone knows! I have been walking behind Whites users with concentric coils for years. Sure they fly and get the first find, but I stay near and come behind with a Minelab with a DD, slow down and dig, dig, dig. Usually with fair results. Drives them (Whites & other concentric coil users) crazy.

Jeff.... SSSHHHH!!!! ::)

Ed D.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have had good luck with the garrett ace 150 w /pro search coil , and is easy to use, where you at in berks, i am over newmanstown area

OP
OP
R

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Just outside Boyertown up in Barto.I had an Ace 250 but just didn't care for it to much,not saying they aren't good machines just didn't care for the tones it gave off.lol

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
Hey Rich, Mike from Woodland is going to be able to hook you up with not only the right machine, but a price you aren't likely to beat. Whatever he sent you, take an extra second to consider his advice :wink: (BTW, nice to see you on here instead of the other forum where we talk about the other type of hunting!)

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know someone will more than likely disagree with me, but I have a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II that seems to work fine where I'm at. I've been in fields and woods with it, and it seems to keep up fine with both. It is a cheaper model compared to others, but I have no complaints with it for the price, though I haven't ever had anything to compare it to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread