What's new

What do I absolutely need to take to the beach if Im only going once?

batcap

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
684
Reaction score
131
Golden Thread
0
Location
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
What do I absolutely need to take to the beach if I'm only going once?

The "Employee Activity Committee" where I work is chartering a bus to Bally's Wild Wild West Casino in Atlantic City, right on the boardwalk on June 11. You may have seen these deals where you pay $45 for the ticket and they give you $20 back to gamble with. I bought a ticket but I intend on heading to the beach with my AT Pro. (Always legal, any time.)
Here is my question: What would you take if you only had 6 hours to treasure hunt at the beach per YEAR. I don't have a sand scoop and I can't see spending $60 or so to use it for only one day. Plus I'm sure there's a limit on what I can carry on the bus. What tools will give me most bang for my time-sensitive buck? Is a small shovel good enough? I've been thinking of getting the Garrett waterproof headphones, I can use them in the freshwater streams and ponds closer to home. Beyond that I want to go cheap. Any ideas on equipment or technique would be very welcome.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What do I absolutely need to take to the beach if I'm only going once?

Dry sand, wet sand or surf? For dry sand I bought a plastic feed scoop for $4 and drilled a bunch of 1/2" holes in it. Looks just like those $10-$20 ones they sell on ebay and in detector stores. Works great too but my knees get tired after digging a bunch of targets. For wet sand I just used my digger, either trowel or knife blade type. I can't give you any cheap suggestions for surf - there's no substitute for a long handled scoop.

I've since purchased a 28" pull-to-me stainless steel scoop. It's awesome but doesn't fit the inexpensive category ($60).
 
Re: What do I absolutely need to take to the beach if I'm only going once?

You can always bring a long handle spade $10 and your pinpointer. Dig, spread out what you,ve dug and pinpoint to find
 
Re: What do I absolutely need to take to the beach if I'm only going once?

If you have swim holes in the ponds or streams get a decent scoop. It will pay for itself, and save you lots of grief!

Just my opinion of course, hope you have a safe and successful trip.

Steve :-)
 
Re: What do I absolutely need to take to the beach if I'm only going once?

batcap said:
The "Employee Activity Committee" where I work is chartering a bus to Bally's Wild Wild West Casino in Atlantic City, right on the boardwalk on June 11. You may have seen these deals where you pay $45 for the ticket and they give you $20 back to gamble with. I bought a ticket but I intend on heading to the beach with my AT Pro. (Always legal, any time.)
Here is my question: What would you take if you only had 6 hours to treasure hunt at the beach per YEAR. I don't have a sand scoop and I can't see spending $60 or so to use it for only one day. Plus I'm sure there's a limit on what I can carry on the bus. What tools will give me most bang for my time-sensitive buck? Is a small shovel good enough? I've been thinking of getting the Garrett waterproof headphones, I can use them in the freshwater streams and ponds closer to home. Beyond that I want to go cheap. Any ideas on equipment or technique would be very welcome.

Short-handle trench shovel ($24.95) and patience. You can pinpoint with the detector. You'll have a blast for about two-hours and give up. You will also be hooked, and spend $130 on a real beach scoop so you can dig for four to five-hours at a time.
You have been warned.. BWAaaaah-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaa!
 
Re: What do I absolutely need to take to the beach if I'm only going once?

Terry Soloman said:
Short-handle trench shovel ($24.95) and patience. You can pinpoint with the detector. You'll have a blast for about two-hours and give up. You will also be hooked, and spend $130 on a real beach scoop so you can dig for four to five-hours at a time.
You have been warned.. BWAaaaah-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaa!

OK, you talked me into something decent (I hope). I bought a used "Supreme Beach Scoop" for $50 shipped. I figure I can sell it for as much later. Like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/METAL-DETECTOR-...337?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cabcbe5d1
Edit:
Oops! "This scoop is not designed for water hunting. You can crush the basket if you use it in the water."
The auction I "bought now" didn't mention that.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Re: What do I absolutely need to take to the beach if I'm only going once?

I had one, lasted about 20 outings. Because of the straight shaft designI found myself using my foot to force it into the sand. It ended up bending and eventually broke where it connects to the basket. This was dry sand only. But then I am a big guy and pretty rough on stuff. You could bulid your own-
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,309643.0.html
 
A Travel Scoop

You said the key words "short on time, only 6 hours to hunt" Would you rather spend the time hunting or trying to find a target?
With a scoop, much faster target retrieval time, scoop, shake and go on. With shovel, twice the time to locate the target., spread the sand out, rescan, then try to locate the target in the sand pile.

f it were me, I would get one of the break down travel scoops with foot step bracing. Time is money and you have already spent $45.00 for the bus ticket. A cheap scoop is going to be worth what you pay for it...not much, when adding $15.00 will get a quality scoop from Reileys.
 
Re: What do I absolutely need to take to the beach if I'm only going once?

batcap said:
Terry Soloman said:
Short-handle trench shovel ($24.95) and patience. You can pinpoint with the detector. You'll have a blast for about two-hours and give up. You will also be hooked, and spend $130 on a real beach scoop so you can dig for four to five-hours at a time.
You have been warned.. BWAaaaah-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaa!

OK, you talked me into something decent (I hope). I bought a used "Supreme Beach Scoop" for $50 shipped. I figure I can sell it for as much later. Like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/METAL-DETECTOR-...337?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cabcbe5d1
Edit:
Oops! "This scoop is not designed for water hunting. You can crush the basket if you use it in the water."
The auction I "bought now" didn't mention that.

You'll be fine for the day with that scoop - Have fun and be sure to post your finds!
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Re: What do I absolutely need to take to the beach if I'm only going once?

AC can be pretty frustrating. Several piers that were there 100 years ago are now in the water, broken into a thousand pieces. And, your AT Pro will find those pieces one piece at a time. Add in broken pipes, EMI, drunks on the beach, the normal beach trash and challenge doesn't quite do it justice.

Of course, the rewards are there too! That's why so many hunters put up with all the AC bs. From silver coins dating back to the 1800s, to old and modern gold rings and assorted bling. AC has it all!!!!!!

The beach is due for replenishment in June. Hopefully your trip will get in under the wire. Chk out the Jersey Shore Beach Hunters facebook page for the latest info. There is always someone hunting AC and posting finds and conditions.

Good luck!
 
Re: What do I absolutely need to take to the beach if I'm only going once?

tjc45 said:
AC can be pretty frustrating. Several piers that were there 100 years ago are now in the water, broken into a thousand pieces. And, your AT Pro will find those pieces one piece at a time. Add in broken pipes, EMI, drunks on the beach, the normal beach trash and challenge doesn't quite do it justice.

Of course, the rewards are there too! That's why so many hunters put up with all the AC bs. From silver coins dating back to the 1800s, to old and modern gold rings and assorted bling. AC has it all!!!!!!

The beach is due for replenishment in June. Hopefully your trip will get in under the wire. Chk out the Jersey Shore Beach Hunters facebook page for the latest info. There is always someone hunting AC and posting finds and conditions.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for that info!
 
Re: What do I absolutely need to take to the beach if I'm only going once?

Everybody is touching on scoops and such. You are going to need some foot ware that you can get wet. Sunscreen and a good hat or cap to shade your eyes from the sun. Also I suggest a good pair of sunglasses preferably with a mirrored lens as the eye candy can be fantastic and your eyes have to look at something besides sand. The mirrored lens stops you from getting your face slapped many times. :laughing7:
 
Re: What do I absolutely need to take to the beach if I'm only going once?

You know, while you're there, and they're already going to give you $20, just go plop it down on Red, let the wheel spin, and see if you can make back $40 of your bus ticket in about 30 seconds!
 
Re: What do I absolutely need to take to the beach if I'm only going once?

While overseas I took a full size shovel and cut the handle down so it would fit in my back pack. It worked well enough. I used it on the weekends for two months and on my last trip I just left it in the hotel room. It was a bit hard on the back though but it did not cost much. Be sure to bring a bottle of water also.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom