What's new

What do you do with your CRHing foriegn coins, tokens, etc????

Howeburger

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2007
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
MN
I don't mind the penny/nickel size tokens and foriegn coins, but the ones that replace halves in a roll or bag set me back .50 each. After a while this adds up. I would not go to a coin shop and buy a coin like this for that price. I'm just thinking about throwing them back in the hopper and hope the go through as a half. What do you do with them??
 
Upvote 0
I just put all the foreign coins I find in a bowl. Unfortunately, finding coins such as tokens/foreign other than halves in rolls is part of the hobby/game.

Your right though, when you do find a token or foreign coin in a roll you just paid .50 cents for it. I try to view it like this......that 40% silver I pulled out on the side of that foreign is worth XXX amount of dollars......I am still ahead of the game.

Good luck out there HB.......
 
I recently found a silver French coin in a roll of halves, some foreign coins are good. HH Gayle
 
lejeuene said:
I just put all the foreign coins I find in a bowl. Unfortunately, finding coins such as tokens/foreign other than halves in rolls is part of the hobby/game.

Your right though, when you do find a token or foreign coin in a roll you just paid .50 cents for it. I try to view it like this......that 40% silver I pulled out on the side of that foreign is worth XXX amount of dollars......I am still ahead of the game.

Good luck out there HB.......

Well said LJ. That's part of this game/hobby. You have to be willing (and able) to absorb these..........
 
Lejeuene is right.
You just have to look at your silver keeping you ahead.
One thing to consider, Most banks toss away the tokens and foreign coins. most of them end up in the trash. If you build a relationship with them some will save them for you and give em too you for free...otherwise they end up in the garbage.
I do send some things back, If they ended up in a roll more than likely they will end up crediting you back 50 cents
 
If anyone does not want their foreign coins and wants to get rid of them, send them to me. The MD club I belong to (Cowtown Treasure Hunters) use them to teach handicapped kids to work with a metal detector. They use to use U.S. silver coins, but the kids would take them and use them in the soda machines, so that was stopped real quick. The kids love the bigger coins (like ones that would be found in half rolls), so if you want to put them to good use, let me know. I have found several British pennies and several Balboas, and just threw them in a box until I found out about this, so I unloaded all of them on them. If anyone wants to get rid of theirs, send me a message and I will accumulate them from anyone who sends them until our next meeting (we meet 3rd Tuesday of each month), and give them to the coordinator.
 
All foreign coins get ID-ed and put into cardboard 2x2s. If I get a duplicate it's tossed into a communal cup.

I asked my favorite casino about what they do with their foreign, tokens, etc. They said they're sent out to be destroyed. :o So I offered to buy them by the pound and they said no because "they have no idea what they'd be selling." ??? ??? Here's an opportunity to make some extra cash and they turn it down. Weird.

In general I love any foreign coin/token I find. It gives me a chance to drag out my catalogs and learn something. I consider the monetary loss negligible.
 
I'm sure Wayne is talking about the Lions club Camp in Kerrville Texas.

http://www.lionscamp.com/

For over Twelve years now his club and others have been going to the camp and teaching the counselors how to use metal Detectors and they in turn teach the kids who seem to really love it.

They are always in need of coins and have recently put out the word that foreign coins are needed again for the 2008 season.

My local club just sent up about 7 lbs of coins to the camp this year.

I'm sure you all have local charities, but if you just want to get rid of them and to feel good about it contact Wayne and he will see that they get to the Lions Camp.

Wayne I don't know that we have ever met, but I attend a lot of the hunts up there and what you guys do for the Kids at the Lions Camp is worth commendation.

CLZinTX
 

Attachments

  • lionscamp2007.webp
    lionscamp2007.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 125

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom