What do you guys think about this sorter?

CopperHoarder

Dec 23, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Don't use one yet.
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Lets put it this way.

You are looking at a penny sorter that is $29.99 with free shipping. How accurate do you expect it to really be? How fast do you expect it to really be? How long to you expect it to last? There is a saying in the racing community, you have have 2 of 3 things when you build a race car, Fast, Dependable and Cheap. You only get to pick two, you cant have all three. A Fast and Cheap car will never be Dependable and a Dependable and Fast car will never be Cheap.

You have a item there that someone is going to make money on, after it was made in China, shipped across the Pacific, put up on Ebay and Ebay/Paypal get their cuts. Its a pile of crap. The Ryedale is quality so its obviously going to cost more. Save $25 a week and you can have your quality sorter in no time. $5, five days a week is all it takes. Buy the one from Ebay and you might as well wipe your butt with the money and flush it, you would likely be getting more use out of that money.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
The reason the Ryedale costs so much is because it works. There are a lot of things in the hobby that you can get for cheap because the "expensive" version is the exact same thing, only with a markup. Loupes and scales are two of those things. The $12 Whitman loupe is the same thing you can get shipped from China for $2. The $25 scale in your LCS is the same thing as the $10 scale from Hong Kong. However, this isn't a Ryedale, it won't perform like a Ryedale, it will perform like a $25 coin sorter, that is, it will most likely jam every other coin, or be inaccurate, or it will take 4 hours to do a bag of cents.

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like pretty much the same comparitor as the Ryedale, but it has no feed mechanism. You'll have to feed by hand, which is barely faster than date checking. You could try building your own feed system, which people have done, but based on the research I did into to it (of which posts from people here contributed a big part), it's the most expensive part and extremely difficult. That difficulty is why I went ahead and got the Ryedale.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
dawg, the ryedale be worth every cent. IF'N you be on the cheap side this is the way too go:

this guy knows his stuff. EDIT: he is located in chicago to, he'll probably build a free 1 for you

OR, if'n you got some time and pocket change, you go get one of these machines:

but you truely cannot beat a ryedale, its slide, reliability, speed, customer service, cannot be beat. worse comes to worse they sell the sniper for a fraction of the price of their main machine. Ryedale Sorter "Sniper 2" Copper Penny Nickel Sorting w 10 Free Canvas Mint Bags | eBay

Last edited:

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have used one of these please post if you like it and how efficient it is :)

This was the first comparitor I bought and it was a piece of junk. After a little more than $7 worth of penny sorting it died. Either a resistor or capacitor burned out and I decided not to repair it as I lost all confidence in the thing. Bear in mind my opinion is based on only one of these. But, you can be sure it will be the LAST one of these I buy.

I would recommend you stick with CMI comparitors if you are looking to DIY a sorter. Last I knew CMI's are what are used in the Ryedales (someone correct me here if I'm wrong). Coin Mechanism Inc. comparitors were the mainstay of the gaming industry before the big move away from coin operated machines took place. They are made near Chicago and used ones are available on ebay. I've made four coin sorters and will use nothing but CMI comparitors.

Good luck on your project and keep us posted.

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would any of these sorters work for finding silver halves or dimes?

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Nube, I sayz it once and Iz sayn it again! it don't work well for da dimes, cause DIMES = clad, CLAD = % copper, COPPER = hard for these machines to tell the difference cause it gots the same e-lec-tron-ic CONDUCTIVITY

silver/copper = two best conductors, if'n machines were able 2 tell the difference, brinks and even loomis, dunbar, garda, and all their homedawgs, woulda already got all the silver.

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nube, I sayz it once and Iz sayn it again! it don't work well for da dimes, cause DIMES = clad, CLAD = % copper, COPPER = hard for these machines to tell the difference cause it gots the same e-lec-tron-ic CONDUCTIVITY

silver/copper = two best conductors, if'n machines were able 2 tell the difference, brinks and even loomis, dunbar, garda, and all their homedawgs, woulda already got all the silver.

I've got my Ryedale sorting dimes with pretty near perfect accuracy; I just had to play with the potentiometer until I got it right. How do you think Coinstars and other counters reject silver? They use precise comparitors to match only currently minted coins.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
50cent said:

Dis G speaks da truth

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got my Ryedale sorting dimes with pretty near perfect accuracy; I just had to play with the potentiometer until I got it right. How do you think Coinstars and other counters reject silver? They use precise comparitors to match only currently minted coins.

the probability of it being accurate though is way way off, i'd imagine for every silver it gives, it will reject one. there's been a many-o-fools on this site, who thought they could dump their silver in and 'test it' to see if it spit it out, well, they got their coins eaten up they did.

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Would any of these sorters work for finding silver halves or dimes?

My CMI CC-16 D's & E's work just fine for sorting dimes.

Before I run each week's batch of dimes through my sorters I run a test batch of 100 silvers, 100 clads, and 200 mixed. I have the sensitivity set a tad high so I make sure I don't miss any silvers but get a few clads. Each week (so far) it has nailed all 100 silvers, rejected 3-5 of the 100 clads, and rejected 3-5 clads from the mixed lot. After each $5000 worth of sorted dimes I throw 10 silvers into a $250 unsorted batch, machine sort it, and hand sort it to make sure running at 300-350 coins/min gives close to the same results as the smaller test lots. Again, to date it has.

I'm not worried about the higher sensitivity rejecting SOME clads to make sure as possible that the silvers get rejected also.

I hand it to those that can consistently pick the silvers by looking at the edges...I ain't one of them. Given the accuracy of my CMI comparitors I'm happy with letting my Rube Goldberg sorters do their job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread