What do you keep the good coins?

touche, I don't drink coffee so it isn't that common for me :) but good to know.

Empty coffee cans are a daily item. I don't know how often I buy a glass jar of milk or water.

I haven't had a legit coffee can or glass bottle in years. My dad, before he died (2002) used to have a ton of metal coffee cans that he stored screws, nails, and other stuff in. I always buy bagged coffee (Dunkin' Donuts) so I don't even have plastic coffee cans.

My coins go in folders and/or albums.

Extra silver gets put in the safe in a tube; a full tube is moved to the SDB.

Foreigns go into jars (or folders if I have one for it).

Wheats go into a bag.

I keep one example of each of my keepers in 2x2 (including American ones). They are alphabetized/labeled and out into shoeboxes. The rest go into a tool box with drawers, and are just loose. If I have any proof spares, they go into the box in a 2x2. I store my wheats and 1960-1974 memorials in a whitman folder (the memorials are just part of the album, so I just kept one and throw the rest back if they are not upgrades). I do the same with my Jefferson nickels (1938- 1960), my Kennedy halves (all of them, including proofs), and British halfpennies (King Edward VIII to Queen Elizabeth II). I store my spare wheats in paper rolls (they are not marked, but no one in my family deposits rolls, so no one would take them to the bank on accident). The rolls are then stored in plastic bags. I do the same with my pre-1960 nickel spares, NP quarter spares, and my Canadian cents. My other spare Canadian goes in tubes/rolls (the ones that are fit for spending in Canada; I am keeping all Canadian cents right now). My 2009 US dimes and nickels go in tubes. Finally, I keep any spares that are worth a lot of money in a wooden box from my grandfather (so that I don't trade the key dates accidentally to someone who wants a common date), along with some FS nickels and uncirculated clad that is at least 15-20 yrs. old that I find CRH.

Last edited:
I've been using a little hardware store storage unit with plastic slide-out drawers - the kind of thing you store nails, screws, nuts and bolts in. I put labels on each drawer, and use it for all my cents, nickels, dimes and halves. As I accumulate more than a drawer's worth of something (like pre-60 nickels), I move them into glass jars. I'll probably roll my silver dimes, 40%ers, etc, once I accumulate enough of them to bother with.

interesting answers...so for the novice rookie that I am...why do we keep pennies in a coffee can? why not a glass jar?

Have you ever dropped a glass jar of pennies? I don't use glass jars in my shop for nails and such either. I use the plastic coffee cans because I get them often and they don't break. I also have a five gallon bucket full of pennies. When I first started I would re-roll the copper pennies and put them in the box they came in but it got to be too much work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back