What Do You Know About R/C Drones?

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a micro RC drone as a present. Pretty sure that I just broke the gyro. I, crashed it and the gyro will not resynchronize after following instructions exactly.

Anyways, what do y'all know about drones?

It seems to me it could be an excellent tool for scoping out new hunting spots, maybe. Those mid size drones with a screen, does the screen come with the drone or does one still have to attach a cell phone to the controller like past models?

Thanks.

ETA- I'm only interested in drones under the "must register with Los Federales size". Its really none of big brothers concern and certainly not in my interest.

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some drones come w/their own screen Some you have to use a cell phone.I'd stick with a (good) micro drone under .55 pounds.A friend of mine just bought a micro that has NO conventional type transmitter.Instead the drone will mimic the movement of the pilots hand position.:)
This type controller will be the standard in the near future
>

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been wanting one also for scouting purposes. Biggest thing is to watch the flight and battery recharge time. Havent found one yet that doesn't suck badly(like 5min of flight and 2+hrs to recharge). And spare batteries (if it will even allow battery swaps at all) can cost a significant fraction of the cost of a new drone.

I'd like to hear any suggestions on make/model for a decent drone too.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any FPV is the ultimate way to fly :):):) >>

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the flight can be recorded & saved for later review :)

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been wanting one also for scouting purposes. Biggest thing is to watch the flight and battery recharge time. Havent found one yet that doesn't suck badly(like 5min of flight and 2+hrs to recharge). And spare batteries (if it will even allow battery swaps at all) can cost a significant fraction of the cost of a new drone.

I'd like to hear any suggestions on make/model for a decent drone too.

Micro drones can get up to 8-10 minutes flight time.But, if your looking for 20+ minutes you'll have to go bigger than a 'micro'. Once your A.U.W. is over .55 pounds your at the mercy of the FAA rules & regs.....Spare Li-Po batteries have come Way down in price from 5 years ago(and have much more power) for their size/weight.Now for the"decent drone question". Thats a hard one to answer.Back in the day(before drones) there were maybe 12 RC mfgs..Today there are at least 100 company s,making/selling them.....Drones are like shoes .One size dosent fit all.Oh , and go with 'Brushless' motors.

Last edited:

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RC pilots no longer have to register their Drones/Airplanes with the FAA. There was already a rule in place for hobbyists regarding R/C models that the FAA could not override so that whole registering thing is no more.
RTR said brushless not brushed. Brushed motors wear out and are not as efficient as brushless motors.

If you want a Quad to find good detecting spots your best bang for the buck option is a DJI Mavic. They are big bucks, but they take beautiful HD video. My sister has one and she loves it. I fly FPV racing drones and planes and they do not take HD video unless you strap a go pro or other cube camera to it. My FPV drone gets 3 and 1/2 minutes of flight time where the Mavic may get upwards to 30 minutes on a battery charge.

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RC pilots no longer have to register their Drones/Airplanes with the FAA. There was already a rule in place for hobbyists regarding R/C models that the FAA could not override so that whole registering thing is no more.
RTR said brushless not brushed. Brushed motors wear out and are not as efficient as brushless motors.

If you want a Quad to find good detecting spots your best bang for the buck option is a DJI Mavic. They are big bucks, but they take beautiful HD video. My sister has one and she loves it. I fly FPV racing drones and planes and they do not take HD video unless you strap a go pro pr other cube camera to it.

WOW that's good news.When did that happen ? That's why I stopped flying(when the FAA got involved). You mean I'm free ?

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well it was only a 5 dollar registration to begin with but yeah, you're free.

Last edited:

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's funny to say the Mavic is big bucks when I know that I've already spent over 4 times the cost of a Mavic with my FPV racers. It's a great hobby but FPV and stable video platform Quads are entirely different animals.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it was only a 5 dollar registration to begin with but yeah, you're free.

It wasn't about the 5 bucks (which they refunded). Its about "their" list your were placed on. 2010_0225Mttohuntdeer4th0002.JPG
Maybe I'll go out & eat up come clouds:)

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice, That looks scratch built, and for me that's the best way to fly. I've been building a lot of the Flite test designs and before that i used Fan fold foam for my scratch builds. A buddy and me are going to be doing some FPV streamer combat with the Flite Test Simple Scout once the weather gets warmer. Here's my Scout all painted up. We plan to use those all in one camera, VTX and cloverleaf kits and mount them to our rudders.
IMG_E2685[1].JPG

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, That looks scratch built, and for me that's the best way to fly. I've been building a lot of the Flite test designs and before that i used Fan fold foam for my scratch builds. A buddy and me are going to be doing some FPV streamer combat with the Flite Test Simple Scout once the weather gets warmer. Here's my Scout all painted up. We plan to use those all in one camera, VTX and cloverleaf kits and mount them to our rudders.
View attachment 1530789

Looks good Dr....Tell me more about that camera. This is my go-to baby Eflite 480 powered.I kept a log on this one.And combined flights w/it is equal to a round trip from NYC to DC :) 003.JPG

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If you want a Quad to find good detecting spots your best bang for the buck option is a DJI Mavic. They are big bucks, but they take beautiful HD video. My sister has one and she loves it. I fly FPV racing drones and planes and they do not take HD video unless you strap a go pro or other cube camera to it. My FPV drone gets 3 and 1/2 minutes of flight time where the Mavic may get upwards to 30 minutes on a battery charge.

Thanks for the info! That is more than I care to spend as all I really want to do is gain some altitude at the beach and see what the currents are doing. I have my own cube cam and don't mind viewing what it saw after landing. That 20-27 minutes flight time with 45min recharge is encouraging tho!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info! That is more than I care to spend as all I really want to do is gain some altitude at the beach and see what the currents are doing. I have my own cube cam and don't mind viewing what it saw after landing. That 20-27 minutes flight time with 45min recharge is encouraging tho!

How about a RC Blimp ? They come in All sizes & prices.They'll stay up 4 ever .Put your cam. on it & tether to the ground.Maybe a couple servos for pan/tilt on the cam. & done:)

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At first you could only get these mini all in one camera vtx combos through hobby sites and they were around 40 dollars. Now you can find them anywhere. Do a search for
GOQOTOMO GT01 600TVL Micro AIO Camera on Amazon. Its 17 dollars and gets great range with the cloverleaf and pretty good picture too. There are no options for changing the camera settings like a good Runcam has, but the VTX has an led for changing the frequency and channel for the video. These are great for small foam planes and use a 1 cell lipo only. 2 or more cells will fry it.

Here's a picture of me just about to launch my home made eagle with the tiny camera attached to the top.

eagle.jpg

Notice the dirty knees?

Last edited:

Wrecka

Jun 22, 2017
Gold Coast Queensland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned a Dobby Drone, lasted 6 months then just stopped working, never buy on made in China and was $500 aud. Next drone purchase will be either the DJI Mavick Pro or DJI Spark , i want one but im holding all spending off until i can buy a Equinox 800 :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread