chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I flew RC for about 25 years....collected about 130 engines from the late 1930s up to the 1970s. Spark, diesel etc.

One analogy that Ive been thinking about lately is the forthcoming Equinox and the time when 2.4ghz came onto the market (sort of started with spektrum in 2004 or5) It was going to make all my 20plus ' old' 35mhz FM recievers 'redundant'....

I flew for nearly 3 decades without one single issue with FM ( I once had to share my channel with a newbie)

I think it may be the same with the Equinox....It wont make my F75 stop working....

So whille Im keen to get an Equinox I do take the 'make every other single freq. vlf redundant' part with a pinch of salt.... didnt the ctx/ sovereign/ safari etc. do that already?

Chub

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am NOT a good source of information on this subject but I will share what I did this summer. My 17 y/o grandson was living with us. We talked about how a drone would be fun around here. There is nobody around and totally rural in nature. So... me being me said go pick out a good one and order it. So we (I) bought a Yuneec Typhoon Q500-4K guad drone. It came in a really nice wheeled case and expandable handles. It's about 2 ft. across when assembled and has a great camera and controller. I don't know my "camera's" but I now understand it is a very good one.

So... Dyllan lands the drone beside my wood working shop. I asked how much life is left on the battery? He said 20% on the monitor. HELL LET'S FLY! I asked him how high have you had it yet. He say's 375 ft. So I decide to "go for it". He explains what to do to me and I take off. Straight up..!!! 350, 375, 400!, 425! Then the hand held controller starts to vibrate in my hands...? What the hell I ask him? He say's LAND NOW, QUICKLY! So down I push the controller and down we're coming quickly. About 6 ft. above the ground and 10 ft. away it just "falls" to the ground. Oppps... All four blades broke when it landed square on its landing skids. But that was it! Hell it came with an extra set anyway...?

Anyway I truly dodged a bullet and now know how lucky I was. BUT THIS QUAD IS AWESOME. The camera is awesome. Battery life sucks at about 20 minutes ea. Says it lifts 50 lbs. but who cares. It won't take me long and I'll find a way to screw it up... Brad

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oooh. Good thing I didn't have a drone with a 50# payload as a child.
Or probably as an adult either for that matter. Sounds like Too Much fun!

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
My son bought one back in October, they are amazing, steady and HD quality videos, Here is Portland Head Lighthouse

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm waiting till they get one that will fly 200mph and battery will last 24 hours
then I can see some things

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
I fly every thing from Micros to 1/4 scale airplanes/jets/quads/tanks. And just to let you know Pres. Trump signed the paperwork that you still have to have your FAA lisc if flying something over .55 pounds or under 55 pounds. And you are required to have your FAA lisc. number somewhere on your craft.

As for quads, or as some folks call them "drones", just like your mine detectors and such, buy cheap and it won't last. Most of the small quads and airplanes from China use basic pager motors for power, not designed for flying, so they don't last. But with anything the price comes down as time moves on. When I started back again in 2006 I paid $138.00 for one lipo battery, that same battery now is around $30.00.

And it becomes an addiction, the limit is your credit card. Even if you build one from parts. That tank is an old $100.00 toy from Wally World. I tore it apart and rebuilt it from the ground up. Now has working lamps front/rear/spot. Progressive throttle. 2.4 radio system. Gun elevation and rotation, the gun is now, instead of a silly shooting missile thing, a working 450 fps AirSoft cannon with 40 rounds of ammo, when it fires you get a blast of smoke from the barrel, and has a laser sight built in to the turret. It has a progressive exhaust system and sound system (engine, machine gun,cannon). And even sports an FPV (first person view) camera system so you can be in the tank as it roars around. Oh it weighs around 80 pounds.

Attachments

• Husban Quad.jpg
    Husban Quad.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 38
  • War Duck.jpg
    War Duck.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 48
  • P-38 VQ Super Strafer 2.jpg
    P-38 VQ Super Strafer 2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 40
  • worn Stuart.jpg
    worn Stuart.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 45

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like they reinstated that requirement back in December, sorry guy's i didn't know. I however will not be relabeling all of my planes/quads to comply with this though. If someone asks where the registration is
(which they wont) I'll just tell them it must have blew off.

3 dollar air-frames courtesy of Adams Dollar Tree Foam board, not everything is expensive.
IMG_2699[1].JPG

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I fly every thing from Micros to 1/4 scale airplanes/jets/quads/tanks. And just to let you know Pres. Trump signed the paperwork that you still have to have your FAA lisc if flying something over .55 pounds or under 55 pounds. And you are required to have your FAA lisc. number somewhere on your craft.

As for quads, or as some folks call them "drones", just like your mine detectors and such, buy cheap and it won't last. Most of the small quads and airplanes from China use basic pager motors for power, not designed for flying, so they don't last. But with anything the price comes down as time moves on. When I started back again in 2006 I paid $138.00 for one lipo battery, that same battery now is around $30.00.

And it becomes an addiction, the limit is your credit card. Even if you build one from parts. That tank is an old $100.00 toy from Wally World. I tore it apart and rebuilt it from the ground up. Now has working lamps front/rear/spot. Progressive throttle. 2.4 radio system. Gun elevation and rotation, the gun is now, instead of a silly shooting missile thing, a working 450 fps AirSoft cannon with 40 rounds of ammo, when it fires you get a blast of smoke from the barrel, and has a laser sight built in to the turret. It has a progressive exhaust system and sound system (engine, machine gun,cannon). And even sports an FPV (first person view) camera system so you can be in the tank as it roars around. Oh it weighs around 80 pounds.

NEAT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread